M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha Truman,

Thanks for the lead. I contacted Allan who referred me to the owner of the Devine. Stewart was just selling the Devine at Allan's table. So I followed up and got in touch with Stewart...

He sent me an excellent description of his rifle, but did not mention a price. So I asked Stewart what he was asking for the rifle, and he returned a price of $2995.

It was definitely too rich for me... so I declined. I appreciate your help in getting me opportunities that I would otherwise not have.... it just didn't work out this time...

If anyone is interested... I have Stewarts addy.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Tom O.
Sorry it didn't work out, maybe next time. I looked the rifle over and I was impressed with how nice it was. It looked like it had never been shot. It had the $2995 price tag on it all day Saturday, I was surprised when it was stated that it was $2200 Sunday. Allen sells nothing but top notch firearms and will usually work with you on the price, but I have never seen him come down that much.
I picked up my National Match Devine at the Tulsa Oklahoma show in April. It had eight 20rnd mags, 760 rnds of Lake City match ammo, another 500 rnds of assorted ammo for a little more than a third of what Stewarts asking price for his rifle. I would rate Stewarts rifle 98% and my rifle at 95%. There are good deals out there, you just have to be at the right place at the right time.
While we are talking Devines, I recently spoke to a man that says he owns serial no 1. He said that the best offer he has had was $15,000, but he would not sell it for less than $22,000. I'll see him again at the Dallas show in a few weeks, I'll ask if he has had any more offers. It will be interresting to see if he sells it and what it will bring.
Have a good evening,
Truman

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Truman,
Any chance that the owner of #1 has a pic he could share with us.

Regards

ox

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Wonder whether he is the "original" owner of Numba 1 ...

That would be great to get a few pics of that one for sure .... Even a nice clear crisp heel shot showing the serial number would be a keeper for sure.

That would definately make a nice wallpaper ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
What serial number we talkin bout here ... any idea on that one at the show that was for sale?

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aloha Truman,

Thanks for the info and update. If you see more Devine's around, please let me know. I am looking for another but a little more reasonable on the price. Mags and ammo or anything else with it is BONUS... Wow, you folks get some awesome deals!!! :lol:

The only way I get to know about what's happening over there on deals, new things, etc. is when I read about it... so keep posting! Again, thanks for the heads up.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Truman said:
While we are talking Devines, I recently spoke to a man that says he owns serial no 1. He said that the best offer he has had was $15,000, but he would not sell it for less than $22,000. I'll see him again at the Dallas show in a few weeks, I'll ask if he has had any more offers. It will be interresting to see if he sells it and what it will bring.
Have a good evening,
Truman
This is very interesting. A few weeks ago Frank Sottile mentioned in a PM to me that Devine # 1 had just sold for $30,000. He gave the impression that it had been sold by none other than Elmer Ballance. I would be very interested to know who is telling the truth and who is talking trash! :?

Tom O., sorry to hear your deal fell through. Was that the one that was on Gunbroker or another one? ? The one on Gunbroker still has 2 days left and has had no bids. Current price is $1600. http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9295716

·
Registered
19 Posts
M1AScout,
The man that I spoke to about No 1 was the guy I told you about earler this year. He was busy at the show and I never got back to his table to get more information about the rifle. He wasn't at the Houston show, maybe he will be at the Dallas show, I'll try to find out what I can about it.
Six, the serial no on the rifle that was at the Houston show was 0025xx, I don't recall the last two numbers.

Truman

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Thanks for the come-back Truman and should you ever get the opportunity to meet these folks please ask them if they would'nt mind givin' you a bit of their knowledge and info so that you may possibly pass it along to us but then of course too I realize that some folks can stretch things a bit or simply wish to remain silent and let things lay as they are.

Thanks for your efforts regardless ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
19 Posts
Six, will do. I do understand about the stretching things a little and not wanting to talk about things. The man that said he had number 1 really didn't act like he wanted to talk to me at first, but after speaking to him at a few shows and trading with him for some 1911 parts he loosend up a little. I'll talk to him at the Dallas show in a couple of weekends and see what I can find out.
Truman

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aloha M1AScout!

That Devine that I went after was the lead that Truman gave me in the thread by Hawk and Ranger. Apparently, even RG45 saw this Devine... it was at the Gun Show that they all got to go to. And Hawk and Truman bumped into each other there...

The seller is Stewart but he had the rifle on Allan Yoast's table. Truman was kind enough to give me Allan's email and Allan was nice enough to forward my mail to Stewart. After a couple of emails, Stewart indicated that he wanted $2995 for his NM Devine #2512 which was a bit out of my range. Especially after just purchasing two rifles last week...

But Stewart sounds like a really nice guy. He even wrote back after I declined to buy. He did say that he had a couple of Devines... sounds like you and Six... hahaha :lol:

So my search for a forged Smith Ent., another Devine, or more pre-bans continue... All in all, these are good experiences, and I enjoy meeting new people... so its cool!

I saw the Devine on GB, but do not know if we should try and go after that one or not. I don't a clue on the seller... but he sounded gruff on his first post running that rifle, I think this is his second attempt at selling it.

Again, Truman, Thanks!!! BTW: I like how we all watch each others backs... that certainly puts a lot more ease for me when dealing on line...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yup Tom, thats high dollars for such a high serial number. I would expect to pay a bit less for a serial number under about 100. . . . if it had not been fired. :lol:

I believe this is the guys third auction on the same rifle. . . . but he is coming down on the price each time. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Wow Truman, sounds like you got a great deal on your Devine! Great job!

Tom, too bad that you didn't get to pick up that other devine, but I understand, it's a bit pricey for the 4 digit. I am sure there will be another one coming along.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
whats with the devine's, just rare collectors, or are they better as shooters?

·
Registered
846 Posts
tom... the last time i saw a forged smith NM for sale it was $3400 !!

the same guy had a transferable select fire SA inc M1A for $5500.

that link refrence to GB has been for sale for a few months. i'm figuring he wants at least $2500 for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts