M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any body has ever posted this but I think its pretty cool and the price is not to bad either...
http://www.goprimalnow.com/Compact_Folding_Survival_Bow_p/cfsb-1-50.htm

The only thing I don't like is the arrow shelf, you could not shoot plastic fletching through it with out tearing them off, I guess you could do the old eraser and Moleskin trick to it.
I bet you could make a folding overdraw shelf for it with a better rest, they sell take down arrows too but I have made my own using a smaller shaft inside and make them slip fit.

Casey

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Interesting, if it works. Such bow theory as I know tells me you want an equal distribution of force all along the curve of the bow, maybe that is present or is not needed here. The other question is, why not a regular bow?

·
Registered
871 Posts
After shooting traditional bows for years I'm not grooving to it, I would rather use a 2 piece longbow or a 3 piece recurve. You can find them for around the same price used and don't be afraid of the older ones , they will give the same performance.. Your arrows are going to be around 30 inches anyway . Less parts. But it is something to think about.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I've a 60lb Bear TD Hunter that breaks down into three pieces so easy to transport. Has its own soft case to carry the bow in. Its what I will stay with for compact. But I do have homemade & commercial longbows also as well as a scoped crossbow.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I got the 55 lb bow , works great , locks down tight, stringing it is no problem, but this is my first bow so I am not the best authority on its accuracy.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I had a vintage (40+ years old) Ben Pearson 60" fiberglass bow. I use too pack it when I had to walk in miles to an area that didn't allow motorized vehicles when I lived in Missouri. My compound bow was too bulky and heavy. The Ben Pearson with the string off, is just a stick with a slight curve on each end. Fiberglass is just about indestructible. I'm tall enough that strapped to my pack it doesn't hang up on brush. ... just make sure the curved ends face back as not to hook on anything.

As I recall Ben Pearson also made a 3 piece take-down re-curve. At the time the green fiberglass (looks like Irish Spring Soap) Ben Pearson was I could afford and I picked it up second hand. I have since given it to my nephew, it holds a lot of memories of my brother (his Dad) who's no longer with us.

I still have a couple of compound bows... some type of archery device, recurve, compound, or crossbow should be part of everybody's SHTF preps.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
some type of archery device, recurve, compound, or crossbow should be part of everybody's SHTF preps.
Hey! Don't forget the longbow--at one time the most fearsome weapon on Earth. BGRIN1

Tim

Edit: And I absolutely agree. Everyone should know a bit about archery, just as everyone should know how to shoot a rifle.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I actually saw one of those in person at my local archery shop. Another customer brought it in to get a string.

I thought it was pretty neat but it felt a bit ungainly to me.

If I was looking for a compact bow I'd stick to any one of the hundreds of take-down bows out there.

·
Registered
431 Posts
+1 on the "conventional" take-down bows (recurve or long bow). I've built a few bows (self & laminated) and I know bow/limb design is a little more complex than it looks.

I hope this bow really gets your interest in archery up.

Bows are the only thing that compares to shooting my M1A.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Also food for thought, you can make your own arrows from any wood for a recurve or longbow and broad heads from tin cans but never shoot wood from a compound or worse yet a crossbow. Pick up an older Robertson or Hill 2 piece 62",45-50 lbs. You can kill a bison with it if you can shoot it through the lungs. It will last you a life time.

5,445 Posts
Fiberglass is not the end-all-be-all of of bow contruction.

I'll stay with my takedown Hoyt recurve and its maple/carbon composition. Thanks.

Also, buy once... cry once.

Now, if only I had more time in my life to do all the things I want to do! GI8

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Also food for thought, you can make your own arrows from any wood for a recurve or longbow and broad heads from tin cans but never shoot wood from a compound or worse yet a crossbow. Pick up an older Robertson or Hill 2 piece 62",45-50 lbs. You can kill a bison with it if you can shoot it through the lungs. It will last you a life time.
Interesting comments. But about the crossbow, surely there must be a way to make wooden bolts? I mean, they didn't have aluminum or carbon fibre in the middle ages.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sure you can make them but the spine of the arrow would be Hugh so your arrow would be like a broomstick like they were in mid evil times. If your not careful it will explode on release and you have a very good chance of sticking you hand and or arm. There is some good stuff on YouTube about arrow failures if your interested.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
I've shot traditional most of my life. Played with wheel bows for a couple of years. There is no comparison between the modern bows and traditional. The high-tech launchers are far superior, but just not what I like. A good take-down recurve or longbow is the way to go. I have both. If you do your part they will do theirs. They are simple, light and effective. If any of you go with traditional gear I suggest you stay away from 'fast-flight' or other no stretch strings. Although many modern manufacturers of traditional bows advertise that their product is designed for such strings your bow will last many years longer if you use a traditional B-50 dacron string. I prefer the 'flemish twist' style. Also, in a survival type situation glue on, fixed blade broadheads have many advantages over the modern component or expandable types.

Reactions: Dsc
1 - 20 of 25 Posts