M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another post here recently I posted pics of a folder that I bought that turned out to have a bogus stock on it. I have started attatching a USGI fiberglass stock to it. It is attached and I repaired the end of the stock where it had seperated in the seam. Unfortunately I got a little carried away with the fiberglass inside the stock.
In the first three pics you can see it with my scout in it. The last pic shows the inside of the stock where I made the "repair".I started machining the excess buildup back away, but still have some to go. I plan to build a socom type rifle for it eventually with a 16" barrel.
I made several mistakes along the way, but I learned from it and have had some fun. I think when it is finished, sanded and painted it will look pretty good.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It looks very cool and if you make too many mistakes you can always start over again with a new stock. In the end it looks like you are going to end up with a great looking rifle.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I haven't done a whole lot lately, but I did get me a socom barrel and a GL/FH. I have just about decided not to use the fiberglass stock. Here are some pics of the stock with the socom barrel hand tight in the reciever and in a wood stock that I am now thinking about using. Barrel indexes to 8 O'clock so I am going to have to trim a little off the shoulder. I don't have a bolt or a gas cyl or a few other parts so there is no need for me to get in a hurry with it.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Made a little progress. Got a few parts on PX. Machined some off the shoulder of the barrel and tried to tighten it up. Its stiil a little tight so I'm gonna take a little more. Refinished the wood stock, cut it down, and attached folder. I got a bolt, but it is in Hawaii. Still need a gas cyl and that's just about it. Does anyone know what I need to do to a reg gas cyl plug to make it work with the socom barrel?

·
Registered
165 Posts
SOCOM gas plug

The gas plug is the same on the SOCOM as is on std models. SEI has a "socom" plug that has more volume as to delay unlocking of the bolt. (longer dwell time?). I've got one, just haven't tried it yet. Read one post of decreased accuracy but I don't know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looks very nice, I like the wood stock. What's the overall length of the rifle with the stock folded and unfolded? I would love to do something like that for my springfield socom.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
In my experience, when making an M14 side folder,
working with a GI wood stock is a LOT easier than working with a GI fiberglass stock.
AND the wood may even be a tiny bit lighter.

This side folder was built using a GI fiberglass stock that was starting to split at the butt. I cut it down at the pistol grip, then pulled out all the foam in the pistol grip section and filled the void with epoxy and coarse steel wool [ like having rebar in concrete for strength ].

Then I screwed on a Butler Creek Rem 870 side folder, and blended everything to fit the contours of the BC pistol grip. I wrapped the joint with aluminum window screen, and troweled on some more epoxy. Then sanded to final fit, painted with Krylon camo paint over cedar fronds.
This is one of my favorite M14 stocks.

Full do-it-yourself instructions for M14 side folding stocks are posted at:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/lazerus2000/m14.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts