M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I could "seal off" the chamber what risks would I encounter at the gas port and GC ? On all gas guns... M1A, ARs, BAR.. ( both USGI and the Browning hunting rifle ), FAL...etc...

Would you guys use "Wipeout" ( http://www.paulcompany.com/wipeout.htm ) on your self loaders? I've read most of the webpage... I'm curious if any of you guys have used it or your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Try Sweets 7.62 or Butches Bore Shine. They are high ammonia content copper solvents that work really well. Make sure you follow the directions carefully on the bottle for the Sweets and never take a wiff of either - you will be sorry if you do. With these solvents never use a bronze brush only nylon. I tried the foaming stuff once and all it did was make a mess.

Also try JB non-embeding bore cleaning compound (Brownells and Cabelas has it). Don't use it all the time but once every two or three bore cleanings and you will be amazed how much easier it will be to clean your barrel after you start using it. With this stuff be very careful to follow the directions.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I use Wipe Out on my M1A and the stuff works good for me. I turn off the gas valve when I use the stuff and have no problems. It's amazing how much crap this stuff gets out. The foam can get messy so I put the rifle in the rest/vise and use that little 3/8" clear hose that comes with the can and apply it from the breach so most of any mess comes out of the muzzel where I place a shop rag under it. Let it set for an hour or so then scrub with a nylon bore brush and patch dry. If you see a fair amount of copper indications on the patches apply again and let set overnight then repeat scrubbing and patch process. This will usually get er' done.

Oh, and don't forget to turn the gas valve back on before you go shooting.GI1

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I use Wipe Out on my M1A and the stuff works good for me. I turn off the gas valve when I use the stuff and have no problems. It's amazing how much crap this stuff gets out. The foam can get messy so I put the rifle in the rest/vise and use that little 3/8" clear hose that comes with the can and apply it from the breach so most of any mess comes out of the muzzel where I place a shop rag under it. Let it set for an hour or so then scrub with a nylon bore brush and patch dry. If you see a fair amount of copper indications on the patches apply again and let set overnight then repeat scrubbing and patch process. This will usually get er' done.

Oh, and don't forget to turn the gas valve back on before you go shooting.GI1
I do what you do and get excellent results too, except instead of using the gas valve to keep the foam out of the gas cylinder, I turn the rifle over and, with the piston all the way back, I stick a Badger Ordnance GC alignment gauge in the small hole on the bottom of the GC. If the port alignment is correct, the gauge extends into the barrel and neatly plugs the hole. Or, you could used the largest size drill bit that can extend into the barrel; just use the back end of the drill, and hold it in place so the foam doesn't blow it out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm with the o.p's on the Wipe out. I use a piece of fuel line that fits tight over the applicator nozzle and this fits inside the muzzle break of my socom . Just hold the other end tight to the barrel with a one second blast and that usually fills the bore. Hardly a mess at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm with the o.p's on the Wipe out. I use a piece of fuel line that fits tight over the applicator nozzle and this fits inside the muzzle break of my socom . Just hold the other end tight to the barrel with a one second blast and that usually fills the bore. Hardly a mess at all. Good luck!
I curious. Why don't you stick the tube from the can into the chamber and let the foam squirt out the muzzle? That way, the foam doesn't get into the receiver.

·
Registered
166 Posts
M1A,
Just using the tube on the can makes a huge mess because it is smaller than the opening and the foam wants to expand any which way it wants. Feeding from the muzzle end gives a good fit with the fuel line ( actually it was vac tube ) and the foam gets to the chamber in a controlled fashion because nothing escapes, and if anything only oozes a little if you hold the button on the can to long.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
M1A,
Just using the tube on the can makes a huge mess because it is smaller than the opening and the foam wants to expand any which way it wants. Feeding from the muzzle end gives a good fit with the fuel line ( actually it was vac tube ) and the foam gets to the chamber in a controlled fashion because nothing escapes, and if anything only oozes a little if you hold the button on the can to long.
I see. The tube I was referring to was the flexible one we both add to the end of the short white nozzle on the can at the push-button valve. I stuff that tube into the chamber, and being flexible, it conforms to and seals in the chamber, preventing leakage into the receiver; the foam then oozes out the brake and drips into bowl I put under it for that purpose. That way, I get a good amount of foam out the muzzle end and then just a bit more for good measure, without having to worry about a mess, or, worse, loss of lubricant where it's needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I see. The tube I was referring to was the flexible one we both add to the end of the short white nozzle on the can at the push-button valve. I stuff that tube into the chamber, and being flexible, it conforms to and seals in the chamber, preventing leakage into the receiver; the foam then oozes out the brake and drips into bowl I put under it for that purpose. That way, I get a good amount of foam out the muzzle end and then just a bit more for good measure, without having to worry about a mess, or, worse, loss of lubricant where it's needed.
They did not give me one of those flex ones you speak of, just a cheezy piece of drinking straw that did not stay on the can nozzle when dispersing the foam.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
They did not give me one of those flex ones you speak of, just a cheezy piece of drinking straw that did not stay on the can nozzle when dispersing the foam.
They didn't give me one either. I just had a thick, flexible plastic tube lying around whose inside diameter fit that nozzle snugly and figured I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Wipe out some good stuff, used it on the black poodle popper a few times, works great

1 - 11 of 11 Posts