M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I was opening a battle pack this evening to load up my mags. After opening a box for inspection I decided to read up on some previous threads. This in turn prompted me to go ahead ad inspect the rest of the batch.

Here is what I ended up sorting as questionable.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Port , good stuff. That corrosion is from moisture trapped inside those sealed PVC battlepaks. That's why I took all mine out when I bought them and repacked the cartons into .50cal USGI ammo cans with a dessicant pack. Knock the loose stuff off and fire away. The brass is Berdan primed and can't be reloaded anyway.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Pull some bullets on the worst ones and look inside the case, likely the corrosion has migrated through the brass. I would not fire in any rifle of value, either dollar or sentimental and be on the lookout for squibs.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,631 Posts
Reactions: dozier

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,631 Posts
Has anybody ever shot anything this nasty in THEIR rifle?GBERET3
I would think a few have here but would not admit it openly. I have fired some Belgium '77 (+) that took a lot of cleaning to not stick in the chamber after each round fired.

DI5

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
It's possible that the corrosion has eaten away in the case in areas not able to see or weakened the case considerably. Case separations can be dangerous and PITA to correct at times and would go on the basis "if in doubt, don't do it..." A quality rifle should be fed quality ammunition. JMO

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed, which is why I went ahead & sorted the rounds. Honestly, losing a 170 or so rounds out of a 1000 isn't going to break the bank. I'd rather pull the bullets & possibly reuse than risk an injury from a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Being the cheap blank that I am, and seeing as how powder is so expensive. I would probably prep 170 cases and pull one clean up the bullet dump the powder into the next case and seat the bullet. Thus basically rebuilding the round with a new Case. I would do it this way vs bulking the powder because you have two different lots. If they were all from the same lot I would say you could take an average of 10, and remeasure the powder evenly and probably come up with a better round.GI2

·
Registered
43 Posts
XXIV corps and Instructor. Thanks. ( I don't do computer stuff well.) Airborne! Cos

OP, I'm kind of debt free. If you lived near to Kalifornia, I'd give you a rubber pack of the shoot -able stuff. Because I hate to see one eyed kids, pm me and I'll give you the nickels to get some safe stuff from Widener's. Cos

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being the cheap blank that I am, and seeing as how powder is so expensive. I would probably prep 170 cases and pull one clean up the bullet dump the powder into the next case and seat the bullet. Thus basically rebuilding the round with a new Case. I would do it this way vs bulking the powder because you have two different lots. If they were all from the same lot I would say you could take an average of 10, and remeasure the powder evenly and probably come up with a better round.GI2
I did that to some old S&B surplus that didn't go bang. It was just a couple of onsies/twosies here and there. I figured be out a little effort and a primer for the joy of shooting...LOL1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts