M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a California resident looking to purchase his first M1A, and would appreciate any advice. I don't have any particular needs and would like a general purpose rifle (range, hunting, SHTF, etc... ). What should I look for? What shoould I avoid? Thank you.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Look for a Springfield or Armscorp built with USGI parts. The newer Springfields have commecial parts and some owners have encoutered problems with some parts. USGI parts will have manufacturer's codes like HR, HRA, HRL, HR-N (Harrington& Richardson), TRW (Thompson Ramo Wooldridge), WRA, OM, 66118 (Winchester) and SA (Spingfield Armory) though SA Inc parts are also stamped with SA! These codes will be on the major parts of the rifle: Barrel, bolt, operating rod and trigger housing.

A good book which will address this question is Scott Duff's 'The M14 Owner Guide'. I highly recommend you buy and read it, definitely worth the price.

I like the scout length too, it is very handy. If you are thinking about getting involved in High Power Service Rifle Matches you will need a standard length rifle. The scout could be used in the Match Rifle category, but you would be at a disadvantage using it in competition.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ca Legal

Scouts are just fine. In fact, all Scouts come with a CA legal muzzle brake unless something else is requested. I just picked up a NIB Scout for $1060 SHIPPED!! Thats right folks. Deal of the century! Also, I complained to SAI about the crappy trigger group and they sent me a brand new USGI trigger group. Goin to the range in da mornin to break in my Loaded and Scout. :mrgreen:

Triggerman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.