M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just another FNG here with some questions. Pardon my ignorance and stupid questions. I just got A M21. This is my second Springfield. The first was a Squad Scout. I missed it and was so impressed with the performance I decided to to find another. The M21 was not my first choice but could not find anything else. Not sure what I got for all that extra $$$$$. Also want to put a U.S. Optics scope on it. I was looking at the Troy Battle Rail or the Airbourne mount. Any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
The M21

The M21 receiver has a notch on the bottom for more consistent/tight lockup to the stock that should result in smaller groups. It is an enhanced M14 platform in that respect. It is also heavier that standard M14s and yours should feature NM trigger, sights and barrel....all very nice upgrades.

US Optics is a FINE Optic and is suited to the long range shooter that can compute mils into clicks. It is also very expensive but worth the FRNs if you can operate it. There are many threads in the OPTICS section here that capitalize on first-hand use of many fine optics, seek them out for real-world experience with the M14 platform.

You will get many and varied responses on Mounting platform. I swear by Bassett Machines becuae they are easy to install/remove, re-zero by themselves and the guy that built them answers the phone himself when I call him about a question.

Congrats on your good taste in rifles, welcome to the board.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I love my Springfield M1A/M21. Although not a "true" M21 it is accurate. I think the added cost accounts for the stock. Otherwise it's a super match. But I do love the heavy stock.

There's a few of us here who have them. Check out the threads as they have a lot of info. And this is the place to find that info. Most of all everyone is very helpful.

As always we love pics of the stick, and the paper after holes have been punched.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I placed a Sadlak airborne mount, spring guide a TiN piston in mine. Also tubs spring. Now I've taken it out twice and went from 2.25" groups to 1.5" groups between the two range visits.

My goal, taking me into the equation, is to get to 1 inch groups, give or take a quarter inch. At that point it's all shooter.

I'm running a Nikon monarch BDC 4-16x50 which seems to fine. But I want to step up to either a Leupold 6-20 LR/t or vortex viper 6-24x50. But from what I see you can't go wrong with US Optics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M21

I looked at S&B. I hear they are the best but not as many options. I have Ziess on my other two rifles and have been very happy. Good glass is a must. I have seen many deer long before and later in the evening due to good glass. U.S.O. offers a 3.2-17. I feel basesd on my limited experience the would be the best choise for my shooting needs. The Troy Battle Rail seems to be a great Idea. Looks solid. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
795 Posts
You'll get plenty of suggestions here on glass. Sounds like you're looking for the 100 to 300 yard range. I'm just testing the rifles and going to see what I can do with it consistently up to 600 with a 168gr. Then get higher end glass and go out to 800 plus and use a 175 gr.

But I do plan on using this as my deer rifle from now on as it has surpassed my previous 30.06 rifle. Like... No comparison

With the right set up, for deer, within that range you have the upper hand. No reason to not love it as I'm sure you will.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M21

I agree. And your right about the range. The U.S. Optics scope is nice because it can be as low as 3.2 power or as high as 17 power. Nothing worse than a deer popping up in front of you and cant put the crosshairs on it because the power is to high. Please keep me updated on your project as well. Have you seen the video colection from Magpul on long range shooting?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.