M14 Forum banner

fng questions

1628 15
I posted this on battlerifles.com, so please excuse the redundancy. I figure, with the knowledge base here, why not use it, also.

I've got a Springfield Armory M1A with serial number 0002XX. The oprod is a SAK, bolt is TRW, barrel is SA with NM on top surface with a beautiful bore, front sight is NM 062 and rear sights are NM 2A marked and hooded, trigger housing is HR, flash suppressor is not NM and the gas system is not unitized. The stock is an E2 with all appropriate hardware and metal, no markings or cartouches, in addition to this the rifle wears an E2 muzzle brake. I acquired this rifle exactly as described and have fired approximately 50 rounds through it. The action is very smooth and the trigger breaks crisply at a little over 5 pounds. I would describe this rifle as NRA 95%. What is the approximate value, if I was to sell? I traded a new, unfired Armalite AR10A4 for the M1A and 7 20 shot GI mags and I don't regret the trade. It is the only rifle I have ever held that really feels right, if you know what I mean.

On another note, I am looking for a Polytech or Norinco for a second M14 clone. What are the best quality replacement parts for a future rework of this rifle? I will have the bolt replaced with USGI upon receipt and change other parts as needed.

I plan to acquire complete replacement parts for each of these rifles and want only the best. Your suggestions will be taken to heart.

Great forum. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

Glad to be here.

Tex
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Hi Tex,

Looks like you got yourself a Devine M1A there. As for the trade, IMHO, you got the better deal. You can find more information on the rifle in Different's acticle on M14 Rifles. He is a member on both boards.

Technically, it is not different from an early SA standard M1A, however, because it has such a low SN, it has collector's value. As for a dollar amount, I really can't say. I have a Devine, and if you sell, let me know, but I would say that it was a "keeper".

The mags was a bonus on your deal! The USGI parts are par for the course here. The E2 configuration is also a bonus! So, better for you! The stock alone might be $300 or more.

So if you were asking if you got a good deal, then I would "YES"!

As for the Poly or Norinco, get it and have a qualified person check it out, you may want to shoot it to death before making her all USGI... just a thought.

Good for you!!! You got a good deal!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dighawaii,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to download Different's book, but am having a problem or two working the bugs out. Hope to read it soon, though.

Yeah, I knew I got a deal the night I traded. It was about 2200 hrs on September 11, 2001. With the events of that morning, I did not want to be stuck with an Armalite if the balloon was going up. Got rid of a preban AR15 match rifle to the same guy, same night, in trade for a Howa AR180 and 4 Sterling mags. It is a beautiful rifle also, but doesn't compare to the M1A.

As far as the Chinese rifle goes, I will trade the bolt for a USGI asap and shoot it till the other parts need replacing.

I am interested in getting the top of the line GI replacement parts for complete rebuilds on both of these rifles and as parts are drying up, I plan to get them asap, also. I just need some coaching as to which GI parts are the best quality.

On another note, which island are you on? I spent 7 months on Kauai in 1987. Loved it.

mele, mele.

Tex

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Yep, the numbers are right for a Devine.

You didn't say if the barrel was marked with the correct "Devine,Tx" letters and address though. That would add value.

Also, if all the parts are correct USGI, I'd leave it alone and not rebuild it at all. Chances are that the parts are just fine as is.

I'm always looking for another Devine rifle. In fact, I'm trying to make a deal right now with a serial number in the same range as yours. 00027x
Maybe I'll know this week. :roll:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
warbird,

There is no Devine stamp on the barrel, unless it is under the handguard.

All parts are USGI and I agree, there is no rebuild in the works. I just want to collect the best available parts, now, for possible future use. After all, there is a limited supply.

Good luck on the prospective acquisition.

BTW, where are you located?

Thanks for the reply.

Tex

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warbird,

Thanks for the link. I looked at this same barrel last Sunday and talked with Mike about it.

My rifle has no Devine markings on the barrel, so.....it's just another preban. Ho-hum...I'll just have to enjoy it for what it is, a fine piece of workmanship :eek:).

Thanks again.

Tex

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
It may have been rebarreled as was my 000529 ... :wink:

As long as your receiver has them numbers on it you have the Devine altho its nice if one would have the original barrel with it ...

Ya'll have a godern ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Texian said:
I plan to acquire complete replacement parts for each of these rifles and want only the best. Your suggestions will be taken to heart.
Get a set of bolt guts and replacement parts for the trigger group. USGI is good. So is USGI. FWIW, the service rifle teams preferred USGI (of no particular manufacturer). It's unlikely that you'll be able to go through enough barrels to wear out other parts like the bolt, oprod or gas system.

Ty

·
Registered
813 Posts
Re. Polytech M14s

With mine I swapped out the bolt for a USGI one, changed the stock to a walnut USGI and then got a USGI complete trigger assembly which some don't hink is needed but my trigger felt somewhat hinky for the lack of a better word. The USGI is definitely smoother. Good Luck and Good Shooting, Blue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.