M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been addressed many times, I just can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. My question is this- I have a new M1A with walnut stock. Yesterday I applied 4 coats of Behr tung oil finish, buffing with an old t-shirt between coats. I did not sand the stock at all, should I have? I was really hope the grain would show more than it has.
Do I just need to add more coats? Right now it has a nice matte finish, but like I said, I'd like to see more grain from the stock.
BTW this is a Boyd's stock.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, I'll try to answer a few questions.

I don't really want a "commercial" rifle finish but I do like to see the stocks where the grain really shows. In other words, a matte finish that shows the character of the stock.
I really like the look of the stock in the first picture that dighawaii did, that is a beautiful stock!
The tung oil has dried and the stock is much smoother than it was before although it is not glassy ( this is good), it is also darker by a shade or two but the grain seems to be coming out- I guess maybe I need to continue what I've been doing?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.