M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been addressed many times, I just can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. My question is this- I have a new M1A with walnut stock. Yesterday I applied 4 coats of Behr tung oil finish, buffing with an old t-shirt between coats. I did not sand the stock at all, should I have? I was really hope the grain would show more than it has.
Do I just need to add more coats? Right now it has a nice matte finish, but like I said, I'd like to see more grain from the stock.
BTW this is a Boyd's stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not an expert on military stocks, I like mine dull. If you want more grain, you need to sand to a fine grit. But you will also get a smoother wood finish. If that's what your after, you will need to sand, sand, sand. Alternating from a coarser grit to a finer one. I use a wet sponge between grits to raise the wiskers on the wood. I think that if you do like I'm talking about, you will end up with more of a sporting rifle finish. Use blocks and erasers for sandming blocks to keep the wood level and keep edges sharp. I would advise you to search the internet for stock finishing procedures with a search engine such as google. The boyds M1 stocks that I have needed sanding from 150 grit to 400 grit. Good luck,

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Aloha divkat9:

IMHO, sanding is not necessary to get a good finish unless the stock surface is too rough, dinged or gouged. If you do sand, then RC suggested some good info. I think it is more important on what you are using for a finish and what you expect the outcome to be with regards to bringing the grain out.

What happened with the Tung Oil? Has it dried? Is the finish dull and lifeless? How is it different from your expectations?

I have been using a Danish Oil finish, recommended by Dean of DGR Guns and like the finished product. He used Danish Oil on a rifle that he sent to me and the results were outstanding. The grain showed brilliantly.

DGR M1 Garand

Stock done with Danish Oil

I have also used many other "finish" products with GREAT results as well, TruOil, LinSpeed, Pure Tung Oil to name a few.

These stocks were done with TruOil.

In many of the cases the stocks that I got were dinged so I have used sand paper but that is more a prep than anything else. The beauty comes out with what you use as a finish.

There are quite a few who are very knowledgable about refinishing stocks and I am sure you are going to get a lot of help in this area. Just give us more information and I think help will be on its way!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, I'll try to answer a few questions.

I don't really want a "commercial" rifle finish but I do like to see the stocks where the grain really shows. In other words, a matte finish that shows the character of the stock.
I really like the look of the stock in the first picture that dighawaii did, that is a beautiful stock!
The tung oil has dried and the stock is much smoother than it was before although it is not glassy ( this is good), it is also darker by a shade or two but the grain seems to be coming out- I guess maybe I need to continue what I've been doing?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Moose: Howdy! Glad to see you posting!

Divkat9: On many of the products, if a duller (non-gloss) look is desired, then some steel wool (0000) will take the shine out of a finish. In the pic with the 4 stocks being worked on together, 0000 steel wool took the gloss away for the GI look.

I don't work a lot with Tung Oil, so I better let the guys who are more experienced with Tung Oil respond.

But I seem to remember that there were specific ideas surrounding the application of Tung Oil... so I hope someone can chime in...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
676 Posts
steve when woodworking if you stain you will often lightly sand (steel wool or whatever) in between coats. the grain has raised. putting water on it will just speed up the process

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.