M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Springfield Armory M1A back in the mid 80's. Initially used it mostly for deer hunting in TN. I've put less than a 1,000 rounds through it. In fact it sat untouched in a closet for at least 20 years.
I recently sent it off for some basic accurizing. The FFL doing the shipping suggested this site. Initially I'm most interested in opinions and experiences with various scope mounts/mounting methods. I'm going to mount a Trijicon TR22-2 when I get the rifle back. I'm also going to attend a local class on long range shooting.
No plans for competing. It's mostly intended as a long range SHTF weapon.

Closest I came to military service was talking to a Marine recruiter in 79' just before graduating HS. Ultimately decided against serving during peace time.
One of my life's bigger regrets.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Welcome from Texas, Jay . Nice Rifle [have had an 88' and a 91' since new]. An ARMS#18 or a Bassett scope mount. another mount to check would be the one made by Sadlak. One other goody you should put on your rifle is a Sadlak op rod spring guide, they're under $50 and worth the $$....BTW check out the tonyben how-to videos at the top of the m14 subforum Great info on there...

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,622 Posts
Great decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often Jay Jacobs.

DI5

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Welcome! I'm just down the road from ya. I run a firearms and tactics training school here in N Ga and TN, specializing in long range precision rifle.

If you need a hand mounting your scope, lapping your rings, etc., give me a holler.

Who's doing your work?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Welcome! I'm not too far from you, either. If you need anything, give me a holler. I will help you out all I can.

Reactions: Jay Jacobs

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome from MN.

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Roswell, Georgia....

+1 on the Basset Mounts - I run the low profile Picatinny with the weaver 6 hole tactical mounts.

Below is my Scout Squad - locked up with with the Basset mount and weaver tactical rings. The stock is one I just refinished and just shipped to a forum member in Washington State [it was a nice Leopard].

Good Luck and Welcome!

M1Army

Basset Mount and Weaver 6 hole Tactical Rings

Good view of the Basset Mount and Weaver Rings

Side View of Basset Mount and Weaver Rings

Long side view of set-up

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome! I'm just down the road from ya. I run a firearms and tactics training school here in N Ga and TN, specializing in long range precision rifle.

If you need a hand mounting your scope, lapping your rings, etc., give me a holler.

Who's doing your work?
Accuracy Speaks out in Arizona
In hind sight it would have been nice to know about this site sooner.
No doubt I could have found someone closer.

And yes depending on what mounts I use I will be seeking assistance on the mounting process.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Jay, one of the best guys in the US is just down the road in Bremen, Hook Boutin.

I've heard good things about Accuracy Speaks. I've used some of their parts over the years.....good kit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts