M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an FN Hi Power from AIM Surplus for $455 after shipping. Overall, I was pleased with the condition upon receipt. The bore had me worried at first, but cleaned up bright and sharp with some scrubbing and JB Bore Bright.

Cleaned all the fouling out of her, removed the magazine safety and lanyard ring assembly, and filed/stoned/emery'ed the import markings off the dust cover.

Took it to a buddy's shop and bead blasted the slide, frame, and barrel, so that I could better see what I've got. I'm even happier with the condition now that I can see it better.

The plan is:
Tritium front sight, black serrated rear
C&S ignition parts
Remove rib on top of slide
Stipple top of slide, front strap, and back strap
VZ Grips 320 grips in black
IonBond DLC all parts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
A BHP restoration... You have my full attention.GI1

Do you have any plans for the safety? I have a Mk III with the same safety lever, and I find it to be stiff and sludgy in operation, and as it appears to be a cast part the serrations on the lever are not sharp. One of these days I am going to replace mine, or at least use a triangle file to sharpen up the serrations.

Looking forward to your progress reports.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have my Belgium FN tore apart right now to refinish and clean the trigger up on. What color are you planning on finishing it with?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Great project, please post updates.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm gonna use IonBond DLC in black for the finish.

Grips will probably be VZ Grips 320 in black, with my logo engraved on them.

I'm thinking of having the slide cut for a Harrison Design 1911 rear sights, plain black serrated, and an appropriate height tritium front sight.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I'm gonna use IonBond DLC in black for the finish.

Grips will probably be VZ Grips 320 in black, with my logo engraved on them.

I'm thinking of having the slide cut for a Harrison Design 1911 rear sights, plain black serrated, and an appropriate height tritium front sight.
Can't wait to see that!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.