M14 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,619 Posts
Try about 22 or more years for the good Winchester primers. They’ve been gone a long time.
That's good to hear, that's just about how old my Winchester primers are, my Brother bought them in the 90's.

eQ

·
Registered
175 Posts
A brief explanation for those in the wonder...

If you resize MG brass in a 308 die, the swollen brass doesn't have anywhere to go. The 30-06 die sizes the body without touching the shoulder, then the 308 die pushes back the shoulder without having to work the body.
Does this help with case life? I've been using a 308 small base die and got 3 firings out of some LC 240 fired brass (thank you, crew chiefs) before getting case head separation on the 4th and so thats been my line to retire em to the junk ammo can.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah I've seen the brass come out of those PTR91s, guess it saves you the time of going after it. Nothing beats some guy who is struggling to sight in his rifle and is more than willing to give you some brass for some help. The wife does roll her eyes at me though.....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Does this help with case life? I've been using a 308 small base die and got 3 firings out of some LC 240 fired brass (thank you, crew chiefs) before getting case head separation on the 4th and so thats been my line to retire em to the junk ammo can.
Your problem is that it’s MG fired brass. I’ve gotten 5 firings out of LC M118 brass without any issues, run through a SB die. Chambers on MGs are huge and the brass is beat to hell.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Your problem is that it’s MG fired brass. I’ve gotten 5 firings out of LC M118 brass without any issues, run through a SB die. Chambers on MGs are huge and the brass is beat to hell.
Thats what I figured, Ill pay close attention to the LC stuff that has only run through my M1A/AR-10 and see how the case is at 3 firings

21 - 28 of 28 Posts