M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started reloading for my M1a National match, and have a question about flattened primers. I am running Hornady 168 gr HPBTs over 39.5 gr H4895, Winchester WLR primers, in LC 11 cases.Cases were once fired military brass, they had to be sized twice to fit in my cartridge gauge (won't go there again). Cases were trimmed, primer crimps removed, and necks de burred, bullets seated to a COAL of 2.8 in. Accuracy was awesome considering I am still learning the rifle (.6 inch at 100 yards scoped), but every case showed flat primers, nothing had extruded into the firing pin hole, and there were no other signs of over pressure. Any advice on how to eliminate flat primers? do I need to worry about this? Thanks in advance for reading this.
Wood Audio equipment Kitchen utensil Gas Button

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why, why do guys make more work for themselves when they don’t have too……

Stop stuffing those phat bloated cases in your .308 sizer die risking a stuck case! You need too run them through a 30.06 sizer FIRST, then run them again through your .308 sizer.

Trust me without getting into the weeds with details, let’s just say that your arm and your brass will thank me.

If I have to use any more once fired military stuff I will keep this in mind, case life has been exactly one reload. Luckily I have a pile XM80 that should keep me well supplied with once fired brass that didn't come out of an oversize chamber.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom Gentlemen!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts