M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone ever load em for the m1a/m14? are they a lot different in the accuracy department compared to fmjbt?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I've fired FB Rem. Bronze Points in my rifle... they worked great at 100 yards. As for comparing them to FMJBTs, well... most FMJBTs aren't manufactured to a very high degree of accuracy, so you should see an improvement in group size by using any quality bullet. Remember .. you get what you pay for.. so if you are going to spend your time loading up some ammo for accuracy, spend a little extra on the bullet. That should help negate/nullify some of the variables.

At my age, ( given the little time I have to donate to my hobbies)....Time is more valuable then the little extra money.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I run Speer 125 TNT's for the short line (200yd) and they work great, Not near the recoil of the heavier bullet either.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have not reloaded but have shot some of the Speer 125 TNT's and was impressed at 100 yards.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
PM Ripsaw he swears by those PSP flat base bullets and has a couple of good loads worked up for them. He's a good shot for sure but with some of the groups I saw him shoot with PSP's, the bullets would have to have been doing their job too... one hole and cloverleaf groups down range at 100yds with standard grade M1A's

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Years ago I obtained a couple Thousand Flat Based 150gr Bullets pulled from 30-06 they worked just as good if not better than the 147 BTs and I used the same Load that I used for the147BTs!GI7

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Years ago I obtained a couple Thousand Flat Based 150gr Bullets pulled from 30-06 they worked just as good if not better than the 147 BTs and I used the same Load that I used for the147BTs!GI7

Me too!GITEN

Also, the Speer TNT is a good one!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I've read/been told that the 150 grain flat based bullets used in the M1 Garand are a better/more accurate bullet than the 147 grain boat tails used in the M14.

The stated reason was that the M60's also used the 147 boat tailed bullets and there was a need for shot dispersion when using a machine gun so the bullets were made to help that need.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Ran a few Ks of 135 grains FB. They shot great. Good for 200-17X on the 600 reduced at 200. Even shot them at the M1A match at Perry in 08 on the F-Class target. Placed 12th on the list after the awards.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
You can hit man-sized targets @ 600 M and beyond squeezing one round at a time with M80 ball and an M240 B LMG... :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Flat Bases

Most flat base bullets will out shoot boat tails. The primary propose of the boat tail is to allow the bullet to retain energy (velocity) at longer ranges to allow for less elevation correction. Also a faster bullet (of same weight) at longer ranges has less windage correction. So for longer ranges and changing conditions the boat tail is a better option.
I watched an F-class shooter shoot a 196-12X at 1000 with 187gr Flat base bullets out of a 308. He has a lot more elevation on than for a 175 and he can read wind a lot better than I. And no he would not give up the brand of the bullet.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
A M2 ball bullet will shoot as good or better than a M80 bullet. Get into hunting bullets, however, and you can be all over the map.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts