M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my babies out to the desert this weekend for some ammo therapy. The SOCOM was perfect. Mounted a red dot on her and couldn't miss. Big sister, however, was another story. What I have is a Standard built by SAI in '94 with mostly GI parts. The problem is the rifle shoots way left. The front sight is ALL the way over. Now, I had this same problem with my Socom when it was new. Sent it back to SAI, and they just replaced it. I figured the barrel was improperly indexed.
I'm afraid to send this one back for fear of them swapping parts or goofing things up worse. My hope is in the flash suppressor. Since I live in the PRK, I can't have an evil feature like a GI flash hider. So I'm wondering if it's the Ca. legal muzzle brake that's the problem.
Is it possible the brake is out of spec and holding the front sight off center?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Had my babies out to the desert this weekend for some ammo therapy. The SOCOM was perfect. Mounted a red dot on her and couldn't miss. Big sister, however, was another story. What I have is a Standard built by SAI in '94 with mostly GI parts. The problem is the rifle shoots way left. The front sight is ALL the way over. Now, I had this same problem with my Socom when it was new. Sent it back to SAI, and they just replaced it. I figured the barrel was improperly indexed.
I'm afraid to send this one back for fear of them swapping parts or goofing things up worse. My hope is in the flash suppressor. Since I live in the PRK, I can't have an evil feature like a GI flash hider. So I'm wondering if it's the Ca. legal muzzle brake that's the problem.
Is it possible the brake is out of spec and holding the front sight off center?
Personally, I'd send it back to SAI. Either the barrel needs to be re-indexed/replaced, or the Kali legal F/S splines are a few degrees out. Either way those parts are non-USGI. Either way when you write up your problems when sending the rifle off to SAI, state that you want to keep all your orig USGI parts. Let them call you back if the problem arises. dozier

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
There is NO way I'd send a pre ban back to SA,by the time they replace all the good USGI parts with not worth as much new made parts for free,you would be out more money than if you just paid Ted Brown or any other good smith on this board to fix it. IMHO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is NO way I'd send a pre ban back to SA,by the time they replace all the good USGI parts with not worth as much new made parts for free,you would be out more money than if you just paid Ted Brown or any other good smith on this board to fix it. IMHO.
Agreed. Go to Ted Brown.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think maybe I'll sneak off over the border (east, not southGI8), and screw on a GI FH and see how she does. If that doesn't do it I'll contact a 14 smith. The only thing not USGI on the rifle is the receiver and stock ( and muzzle break of course), I'm really afraid to let SAI get their paws on it after some of the threads I've read lately.GI4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts