M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Mine is made by Smith and Wesson, it's a combo. Serves as a line thrower, flare gun, and it will shoot 12ga. I shoot clays with it but you have to hit them when they are about 6 feet out of the thrower or the pattern is to big to hit them. GI2 Can you imagine how it would be with slugs, now that is a home defense gun. GI2

-

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Or have I been watching too many movies? What do you think? If so what kind?
Personally I don't think the benefit of a flare gun and flares would be great enough to justify the weight in the pack for me. In most of the scenarios I have run through where I would bug out a flare gun wouldn't do me any good, in fact its use would probably be detrimental.

On the other hand I think flare guns and flares would be excellent items to keep in each car and also at your bug in location or retreat with a mix of signal and illumination rounds.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
On the other hand, no reason not to have flares for the 12 gauge shotgun.

HH
I've never heard of this before. Where could flares (12 gauge) be purchased. Will they cycle through an 870 with a 20" barrel? Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a flare pen that is made by Colt in my hunting pack. Its the size of a large pen light and shoots flares 400 feet. I have never seen another like it. My step dad bought it in the early 70's when he worked on the North Slope doing oil exploration.

I like the idea of keeping the 12 ga. flares around too.

HD

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
HighDesert, sounds like a pencil flare which is issued to air crews in our military

Years ago Walmart use to carry 12 gauge flares & I bought several packages. But you should be able to get some at any good sporting goods store or gun shop.

HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Don't know if the 12 gauge flares will cycle threw an 870 but they do threw my Mossberg 500. They will not however cycle the bolt of a Remington M11, just not enough power.

HH

·
Registered
311 Posts
HighDesert, sounds like a pencil flare which is issued to air crews in our military

Years ago Walmart use to carry 12 gauge flares & I bought several packages. But you should be able to get some at any good sporting goods store or gun shop.

HH
Your right, I did some quick research and they were issued to aircrew and special forces. They seem to be fairly collectable too. My kit has 6 of the 7 flares still and the original case too.

Here is a website with a modern version.
http://www.macecanada.com/canada/wilderness1/Signal_Kits1.htm

HD

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
if you decide you need flares, i would not be overly concerned with them cycling throught the gun. cant see needing a high volume of flare shooting, so open the action and drop one in the chamber.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's not off page!

Interesting topic. Not to go a little off page, but have you considered getting a rifle attachment? I have been considering getting a $300 37mm flare launcher for awhile.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTHavoc9&search=spike's

I can attach it to my M14 (since its on an EBR chassis) or my wife's AR (since she has a quad rail)

I just cant seem to commit to it for various reasons

That's right on target! Makes me wish I still had my quad rail on my SOCOM. Boy you sure got the wheels turning with that link.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Price & weight of a 37mm flare launcher I think you'd be alot better with a 12 gauge flare psitol. JMO

HH

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I also have a flare pistol that uses a short 12 ga. type shell. I could probably use some of the shorty 12 ga. shells and modify them for flares, but the flare pistol is cast pot metal and is very heavy for it's size. So it's not of much practical value to me.

Agree, ready made 12 ga. flares are available so that would be the way to go if needed. Could be used for signalling allies in a danger situation I guess.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Thanks for the links, HH. I saw these in one of my LEO catalogs (GALS) several years ago but they quit carrying them by the time I tried to get some.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts