M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a SAI 5 round flush fitting mag using my Loaded coupon several months ago but hadn't really tried it til a few weeks ago at the range. It won't snap into place with the bolt closed when loaded with 5 rounds. I have tried every which way. Locks right in with 4 rounds. I did notice that when fully loaded the last (fifth) round is on the opposite side compared to a fully loaded 10 or 20 round mag. I'm thinking this is why it doesn't work fully loaded. I called Springfield and asked them what's up with that. They said I should load the mag with the bolt locked back. Yes, this does work but then the bolt snags a live round when it closes. I can't push down on the top round and slowly close the bolt either, it grabs a round no matter what. I always load my mags with the bolt closed and just work the action to chamber a round. I would like to carry a loaded 5 round mag while deer hunting and not always have a round chambered. Am I overlooking something? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would like to carry a loaded 5 round mag while deer hunting and not always have a round chambered. Am I overlooking something? Thanks for the help!
Mine does that too. The most obvious thing that comes to mind is that you're overlooking the fact that chambering a round while hunting tends to scatter every critter within a 1000yard radius. Clickity-clack tends to blow your cover, right? That's the logic they employed when creating the 5 round hunting mag; they look at it similar to if it was an internal mag.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Mine does that too. The most obvious thing that comes to mind is that you're overlooking the fact that chambering a round while hunting tends to scatter every critter within a 1000yard radius. Clickity-clack tends to blow your cover, right? That's the logic they employed when creating the 5 round hunting mag; they look at it similar to if it was an internal mag.
Exactly. It's a hunting magazine. Try taking the little beggar out when you need to reload it. That's a fight in itself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Try taking the little beggar out when you need to reload it. That's a fight in itself.
That ain't no joke, I have to lock the bolt to the rear and literally force the 5 round mag out with my thumb. No way I can pull it out any other way.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My five rounder will not go in with the bolt closed and the mag full. It will remove without any extra effort though. It is a CMI mag.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I grew irritated and impatient thinking this was a typical SAI QC issue and disassembled my mag to see what was up. I hadn't read your guys' replies yet. Didn't see any difference in the follower compared to my other mags so I went to reassemble and somehow the rear of the follower snapped off. Dang!...oh well, I better pick up a rebuild kit with my mags during the group buy now. I should've let you guys respond before getting ansy and I'd have realized this was the norm for these small mags. And I agree, NoExpert, they do suck to remove! LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Same here. Bolt open, insert 5rnd mag, close bolt. More trouble than it's worth so I think I'll be fine with just 4rnds loaded.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The m14 is designed to be loaded from the open bolt position.
However there is enough room in the standard mag to allow a reload with it loaded to capacity. A flush fitting 5 rd mag does not have enough physical space in it to allow this.

·
Registered
342 Posts
5 rounders

i have a springfield marked 5 round mag that is the size of the 10 round springfield mag. it came with a nib rifle. must have been for california.
bhk308

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
i have a springfield marked 5 round mag that is the size of the 10 round springfield mag. it came with a nib rifle. must have been for california.
bhk308
That's an optional mag SA Inc. offers. CA residents are limited to 10 rounds for new magazine purchases. The one you have is an optional hunting magazine that makes insertion and removal easier.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm thinking these may be common issues with 5 rd mags. I have one for my FAL that has the same issue with trying to seat a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt. Since I only use it for hunting anyway, I just load four rounds in it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if you slightly filed down the two tabs on the bottom of the follower if it would allow the top round to depress enough to load the mag with the bolt closed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts