M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New member here but I've been reading a lot of the excellent guides on the M14. I recently purchased a Blackfeather stock and installed it into my SAI SOCOM 16 using Tony's very helpful videos. Everything seemed to go smoothly until I noticed that I had extremely tight lock-up with my trigger group and I had to really force it in. At first glance, the trigger group appeared to lock in but I noticed the trigger guard latch did not fully close. The trigger group was still able to pass the tilt test and the hammer follow test. Is this something I should take care of before trying out the rifle at the range?

Additionally, when I took the trigger group out, I noticed that one side of the trigger guard lugs (if that's the right term) was scrapping against the stock and that the lugs themselves seemed to flattened in the area that I'm pointing at with a pencil. I've ordered a USGI trigger guard which should be coming in later this week. I've tried a complete Bula trigger group from another M14 that locked in completely so I assume it's likely to do with the trigger group than an out of spec receiver. Anyone have any ideas on what other parts I should consider inspecting?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,498 Posts
Welcome from CT.

Tight is good, too tight not so much.
A new trigger guard should take care of the lock up for you.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
It should be noted that while the stocks are probably very consistent dimensionally, most commercial receivers and parts are not. SAGE stocks had similar issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
USGI trigger guard just arrived today from Treeline and trigger lock up is excellent. I also swapped the SAI trigger for a USGI one. I'm so pleased that I'm contemplating replacing all the SAI trigger parts with USGI and having a gunsmith do a trigger job on it. In any case, here's a picture of the rifle sitting in the Blackfeather. Thanks for all the advice and I'll be trying it out in the range tomorrow with some 175 gr FGMM.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I have personally done about a dozen Bkackfeather installs and TIGHT is usual. As you discovered, there can be variations in the trigger guards, and US GI is the Gold standard for fitting with proper tension.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
There has been ONE report of a BULA receiver not fitting into a BLACKFEATHER stock. Any else having problems like this with BULA receivers.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hello all,

I had extremely tight lock-up with my trigger group and I had to really force it in.
NEVER force or beat on parts when assembling a firearm! There are "natural", inherent tensions, tightness and torques designed by the manufacturers but nearly EVERY M-14 needs some kind of hand fitting, especially if all you have is the after-market parts, many of which are "over-sized" do to their casting shapes and sizes or USGI in unlimited combinations of condition ranging from "Mint in the Wrap" to post-war scrap. Just because it is "new" doesn't meant it will slip right in or on without hand-fitting work.

"If it doesn't fit, you make it fit" my Dad used to say, something he learned as a carpenter in the Navy. That doesn't mean jamming it or hammering it to fit, it means shaping it to fit. If you plan on working on your M-14's on a regular basis, get some polishing stones in various shapes (Grangier for example), copious amount of ultra-fine sandpaper, Jeweler's Rouge and other fine polishing compounds to knock off the rough edges, nicks, gobs, galling they will get. You will need to use these polishers with lots of patience.

HTH,

Jarhead

Reactions: Tom Paine
1 - 7 of 7 Posts