M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a split rail #18 mount recently and found out the hard way that it won’t fit the groove on my receiver. The tab on the mount is .178” wide and .056” tall - appears rectangular but with a small chamfer/edge break on the long edges. The groove on my receiver is tapered - .160” wide at the top and .097” at the bottom, .055” deep. I’m curious if folks who have done this type of fitting before would just fit it by hand (checking contact and filing), would have it milled, would make it smaller and bed it to the receiver, or other?

I do currently have a Sadlak mount that works great, but I would prefer to bring the scope down the 1/4-3/8” or so that appears to be the difference between the designs. Alternatively I could live with this and hunt for a VLTOR CASV, since I’m looking at their stocks as well.

Just looking for some suggestions or even a reality check, realizing these mounts are hard to find and maybe should not be modified in this way.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Contact Steve at ARMS for technical assist from the manufacturing side.

FWIW, I purchased a split rail here a few weeks back. No issues installing it on a Bula/RockOla receiver. Only tweak was heating and removing loctite residue from the front and rear contact bushing threads. Once that was done I was good to go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I emailed Steve for some guidance and he replied only that they don’t offer custom fitting. Others have advised me to just be happy with my Sadlak, which frankly is pretty good advice - it’s already doing the job. Just looks like a skyscraper in the process. For reference I’m using Leupold QRW 30mm low rings (.82” height). I definitely could have fit the 50mm objective rather than the 42mm I purchased.

Machine gun Trigger Gas Recreation Gun barrel

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I find it strange that the Sadlak fits with out issue , but the Arms 18 doesn't on your Receiver . May be the way the Mount locking bars are configured & minor modification would be all it needs to mount correctly . measure the Sadlak & copy the dimensions on the Arms18 . Sounds like its the Mount , not the Receiver , that is out of spec..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought so too. When I used the Sadlak inspection kit both dowel pins bottomed out in the groove on my receiver, which meant my groove was too wide. I emailed Sadlak and they said that wider is just fine. I thought if anything the Arms would be too loose fitting and I’d have to bed it to make it secure.
I’m pretty confident it can be made to work - it’s only .010-.040” off each side of the tab. If I had access to a mill I would do exactly as you suggested and machine it to the same spec as the Sadlak. I can probably do it with a file just going slow and checking the fit frequently.

·
Premium Member
18,400 Posts
Very common problem with other than Bula, Fulton and LRB receivers. Sadlak seems to have come up with a winning solution for all those out of spec receivers that have been produced. Worst I have come in contact with over the years was SEI. Even that one was able to accept the Sadlak where the ARMs would have taking more fitting than it was worth.

Reactions: 3RDI
1 - 8 of 8 Posts