M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
First post and I'm already needing some help.First I am in Idaho and there only a couple of local gunsmiths (small town). These gunsmiths have almost no knowledge of semi autos. I purchased a Polytech preban inported by IDE. To improve my M14s I purchased a TRW bolt.

Smith Enterprise wants $590_00 for a bolt coversion which includes a heat treatment nessesary I think because they lap or otherwise machine the reciever to fit the bolt. However the bolt fits as far as I can tell. Can I find how to fit the reciever to the bolt. I have read how a bolt can be lapped to fit the reciever lugs but that is warned against at the Smith Enterprise web site. Is there a book or web site that I can learn the proper procedure. I want this to be done right so it functions as good as it looks in Hawks M14CM4 Tactical Stock

Thanks Steve

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard! Glad you have you here.

The Bolt conversion question is a tough one. I think there are only a few qualified people who can answer the question for you. Maybe Warbird or one of the guys here with real gunsmithing experience can help you.

I have heard some people who got lucky and was able to just drop the chinese bolt in and headspace correctly, but that's the exception. When you say the bolt "fits"...what do you mean by that? Do you mean the bolt locks into place? Do you have the proper headspace gauges to check the headspace? I think that is the minimal that you can do is get the proper gagues and see where you are at w/ the bolt and then determine the next course of action.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
wdi
Yes the bolt fit the lugs of the reciever with no shell in the chamber. However, I drove out of town to try and chamber a round and the GI bolt would not close with a round in the chamber. I beginning to think I might have to ship the gun off to a smith.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I had Clayton @ West Texas Ordnance convert my Poly for me. He did a fantastic job for me at a great price. I imagine he can do the same for you.

click the pic for more info (web page)

I had Clayton install a complete all-SA USGI parts kit on my Poly (I supplied the parts kit & the stock). The headspacing with the USGI bolt is perfect. Since he replaced the barrel the conversion was a little easier than it would be if you are going to keep the Chinese barrel, but talk to him & see if he can do the job for you.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
fitting a USGI bolt to a polytech

Just converted one of my polys myself. Know that I will have to heat treat it. Will do that myself also. In the end it would have been cheaper to have it done by some one who was set up to do it, but I wanted to do it myself. Have a friend who is a welding engineer, So I have a good sorce on how to do the heat treating. Have that to do yet. Had to take a good bit off the lugs of the receiver to make it work with the chicom barrel. New chicom barrels are about $75.00 and USGI barrels are $200.00-$250.00. I can lay in enough chicom barrels to keep it shooting long after I am gone.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Question. If the GI bolt conversion is done to a PolyTech that still retains the Chinese barrel, will it still be possible to install a GI barrel at a later date and expect it to headspace?

Regards

Ox

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.