M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am new to this forum, and I am putting together my first M14. I cheated a bit by sending my Bolt, Barrel, Op rod off to Fulton to be installed on one of their recievers. It came back and works smooth , and looks great. All parts went on as they should with no problems, except for mounting into the stock. The stock is a USGI Birch with light tiger striping that refinished beautiful. When I put the groups together the trigger housing would not close. I know some fitting of the stock might be needed, but I was not sure of what area to relieve. I am leaning towards taking some wood off of the area under the trigger group front ears. Please let me know if this is the right call. Thanks John C.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Is your receiver an SA? I know fulton has their own now but they still sell SA I think.if so does it have a little rail on the bottom right side where it would contact the wood? this has been the common problem with some of them. You will have to releive the stock under that rail not at the trigger guard. Your receiver must fit down flush on top or all kinds of weird things can happen. Other than that it should drop right into any used gi stock.
How far does it come from closing? it should start getting a little resistance as the guard passes the tip of the trigger.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha MNCop:

Welcome Aboard! Glad to have you on board! Just last night another new member asked about the FA receivered rifles... see what a coincidence!!! :lol:

Looks Like M14Dan got you already started... :lol: Sometimes, a slightly tight trigger group will go down with a good "spank". But as Dan asked, how much does the trigger guard close now? And, does your receiver sit flat to the top of the stock? Are the key questions...

They are actually separate questions but both will contribute to the problem that you are experiencing. And it is definitely fixable! So no worries!

Aloha, Welcome Aboard and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
48 Posts
MN Cop: You've got good advice so far on your fitting problem.

First check the obvious. Without the stock, does your trigger group latch up properly to your receiver?

Set the barreled receiver hard into the stock, press down at the heel of the receiver, then look all around at fit. If you have the "right side rail issue" of SA receivers, then that's your problem. But I don't know anything about the bottom profile of Fulton receivers. With this check, your looking for a problem on the top side of the stock.

With this firm set of the receiver into the stock, you should be looking at forend draw up front, stock ferrule vs barrel band. "Proper" tension when locked up is important, and this proper tension is something people agree to disagree about. But if you need to remove wood from the stock, your decision here is important. If you remove wood from the top, forend draw will be lessened. If you remove wood from the TG area, forend draw will increase. What kind of forend draw is right? You'll have to choose.

If you decide that you will remove wood from the bottom of the stock, you should remove an equal amount from ALL of the TG's bedding areas, not just at the mag well ears. You need to maintain a parallel relationship between both sets of metal, trigger group and receiver bottom. If you don't, you may wind up with the problem of the recoiling bolt cocking the hammer some, but not enough for the hammer hooks to get caught by the secondary sear/disconnector.

This parallel relationship is covered well in Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual, and the book will help you out a lot in your project. I'd recommend this book as a must-have.

A previous poster has it right in calling the difference between hard to close and not-closeable on the wood. Without the stock, mount the trigger group to the receiver and look at the camming action of the trigger guard as it closes. The action is fairly powerful. There is a reason that the rear of the guard has a hole in it, it's to insert the tip of a cartridge as a lever to enable the shooter to unlatch the guard.

Good luck

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Howdy MNCop,

Sounds like you got a good bit of advice so far.
Let us know how your Fulton receiver works for ya.
I always fit the top of the stock as the receiver should fit fairly flush (I've done many of them).Hope it works well for ya.

warbird out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.