M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so I apologize if it's in the wrong place or anything. I finally got my new SOCOM 16 on Monday and was able to get to the range without the wind blowing 30+ mph this morning. I only had time to put 20 rounds through it before work but overall I am pretty happy with the results. I think for my first time shooting the rifle and for what it is (16" barrel, fat front sight, bone stock ) it performed pretty well, what do you guys think?

These groups are from a bench with sand bags shooting Remingtono UMC 150 gr ammo, I wanted to take as much human error out of it as possible to see what the rifle could do, normally I would shoot from the prone. These were the first rounds through this rifle, I shot a group at 30 yds to see where it was at, all three were within an inch of the bull's-eye so I moved out to 100 yds from there. Here are my groups and yardages after that.

First group at 100 yds

First group at 200 yds (one in the head and missed one)

2nd group at 200 yds ( a little better)

Group at 30 yds standing free hand rapid fire

Looks like I am shooting a little left.

After that I shot 5 rounds at a 10" steel target at 200yds, hit it with the first shot and whiffed the next 4. I intend to properly sight the rifle in when I have more time but it was pretty close today so I was just shooting groups to test accuracy. Like I said I am pretty happy with these results for this rifle right out of the box. I think the main thing affecting accuracy right now is that huge front sight post, it is wider than the target at 200 yds. I shoot an M14 for my duty rifle and am much more accurate with it and prefer the sights on it (I realize the 6" longer barrel and stock also play a role in accuracy). I plan on doing some research and trying some of the techniques discussed on this forum to improve accuracy down the road. But so far I love this rifle! Can't wait to get it dialed in and play around with some different optic and stock set ups. GI2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GruntMarine, I haven't taken any but it looks exactly like any other SOCOM 16 with a black stock, I should take some before I change anything though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome and nice pics.
I'm curious. Do WY wardens get issued M14's or are you in the reserves/ other?
Have you done the cheap accuracy fixes like making sure the hand guard has proper clearance? Those little tweaks can make a pretty big difference.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
17,047 Posts
Nice! Be sure to read RAMMAC's posts on Socom accuracy upgrades. There are many Socom owners here, but he's probably done the most with it and got the most performance out of the platform. Check out Smith Enterprise P/N 2001V, Socom kit which has a gas lock that allows the use of a standard M14 front sight, that will probably be a welcome upgrade for accuracy on this rifle.
m14brian
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.02.html#socomkit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome and nice pics.
I'm curious. Do WY wardens get issued M14's or are you in the reserves/ other?
Have you done the cheap accuracy fixes like making sure the hand guard has proper clearance? Those little tweaks can make a pretty big difference.

WY Wardens do get issued M14s, they are DOD surplus rifles. Unfortunately they want their rifles back and we are switching over to RRA LA-8s within the next year or two. I haven't tweaked a thing yet, haven't had time but I will. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! Be sure to read RAMMAC's posts on Socom accuracy upgrades. There are many Socom owners here, but he's probably done the most with it and got the most performance out of the platform. Check out Smith Enterprise P/N 2001V, Socom kit which has a gas lock that allows the use of a standard M14 front sight, that will probably be a welcome upgrade for accuracy on this rifle.
m14brian
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.02.html#socomkit
Thanks Brian. I have been reading some of RAMMAC's posts, it will take some time but I hope to implement a lot of what he has done. Thanks for the tip on the Smith kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome! I love my Socom, very capable rifle with a little training.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Welcome. I want to second the recommendation to follow any suggestions from RAMMAC. You can pretty much take it to the bank, from him. There are quite a few things you can do for the accuracy, and the gun can shoot really well once setup. Mine shoots better than I can probably take advantage of. But I normally use a scope, and cheat that way a bit. The sights are definitely a cheap, and easy improvement for sure. Probably the first thing to do if you are going to stick with using iron sights. Good luck with it. Hopefully you can get yourself some more range time soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
wyowarden,
Where did you get your targets?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Those targets look like the standard IPSC or IDPA targets. The differences between the two are on the other side, the scoroing areas are different.

The IPSC targets are usually white on one side brown on the other.

They are good rugged cardboard targets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts