M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a usgi walnut stock that I am wanting to refinish. This will be my first time attempting this and I'm a little nervous as I don't want to mess it up. I've searched around here for advice and found that I don't want to run water on it as that may lead to warping. I want to go for a semi glossy looking finis. I have no idea what to use to get to this point. I think I'll use acetone to strip the old finish off. Then do I want to hit the stock with any kind of sanding? I plan to use BLO and sand the stock between coats with 0000 steel wool. So do I want to sand the stock with any sandpaper? Also does this plan of attack sound good? I'm open for any suggestions or comments. Or even a description for how you finish your stocks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
At some point you are going to have to put some water on it to remove whatever you use to strip it. I've poured water on many a wood stock, so far so good.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Look at past threads in the stock section of the forum. BLO alone will not give you a glossy finish. Yes you can use sandpaper, start with coarse grit, take it up to a very fine grit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I don't want to lose my DOD cartouche and my circle p stamp that's why I was going to avoid any heavy sanding.

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
First off, you need to post pictures of your stock, we need to see what your working with. Second, no one here is advocating that you do some heavy sanding, what you take off can never be put back on. The dod and proof P, take a piece of masking tape and cover them, that will remind you to be careful in those areas.

Do a search on how to finish and you will get lots of info and opinions on how to refinish. Everyone has a favorite finish, decide what you are trying to do and go from there. Whatever you do go slow, most times theres no going back.

Do a search, lots of threads and pictures,good luck.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well it depends on the condition of the stock and how you want it in the end.

For rifles that aren't sticky with ancient layers of soaked in linseed oil I'd carefully clean with turpentine and a coarse cloth or fine steel wool or 0000 pumice for stubborn dirt. put a little on a spot and rub and wipe off then go to the next spot. If carefully done it will leave the original GI finish and patina and not damage the cartouche. Follow up when dry with thin coats of blo or tung oil.

If the stock is dry and dirty then use half and half turpentine and boiled linseed oil as above.

If really oil soaked then more drastic measures may be necessary to remove the excess ancient oil.

To preserve the cartouche, if you must sand, use only fine sandpaper with a backing block and gently wet sand with linseed oil. Should be necessary only once or twice to get a reasonably, but not perfectly, smooth surface. After that only very thin coats of oil well rubbed in by hand with a day or more between coats to dry (polymerize). It won't be perfect for a dinged used GI stock but anything harsher will likely take off the cartouche. Besides the old soldier deserves to keep some of its mementos of service in the look of the stock. You will, however, end up with a nicer looking stock.

Jerry Liles

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
For using sandpaper, like as been said, tape over and marks that you want to save, also tape any metal that you leave on the stock. After sanding, remove the tape from the wood areas and start with the oil. Look at the past threads on stock refinishing. Just about each one of us has a different way to go about doing it. If the stock that you are going to begin on is a very nice high dolor stock, you might want to pick up a Plain Jane or Vietnam Special from Fred's to practice your method on. It is hard to really f up one of these stocks. Sanding too much is one way to do it fast. Sanding down any factory edges is another way. Stay away from harsh paint strippers and oven cleaner(some people use that, I have on No1MkIII stocks that were truly soaked in oil), take your time, do not rush the process.

If you have any questions, just ask, either the whole Forum or PM

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Seems every stock I've gotten has been sticky. I spray mine down with that purple power cleaner and rinse after about 20 minutes. All the gunk comes right off. Have yet to have any stock warp. I let them dry at room temp. Walnut stocks will need to be resealed.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Keefer, I got two more "Vietnam" specials on the way from Freds. On these I am going to try simple green, since I'm almost out of that purple stuff. That was a good article by Gus. I think most folks here can tell ya that he knows his stuff. GI1

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just placed my order with Fred's for a big red birch Vietnam stock and a walnut Vietnam stock. Also got some citristrip to use on them once they get here. Going to be taking it slow so I don't screw it up. Hoping this becomes an addictive hobby that I can turn into a money maker.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hoping to have mine on Monday or Tuesday then so I can start using that citristrip on them. Get the process going.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts