M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time smoking trout. We caught these a month ago. I brined them in salt, water, soy sauce, brown sugar, all-spice and ginger.

We ate three of them tonight. Since it was my first time, we didn't count on these being the main course. We finished these after dinner. My son was fired up! He's 10 and we caught these together.

I used apple wood on the Rec-Tec RT-700 at 225 for about an hour and a half.

Tony.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Must have been good, nothing but bones left.
I'm more of a saltwater fish eater.
Smoked flounder or redfish.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good job Tony.

Years ago we hiked into Pamelia Lake, Mt Jefferson Wilderness. At that time the lake was overstocked with small (stunted) trout. There was either no limit, or lots. We caught lots and smoked them in a Little Chief Smoker until they were slightly dry. We took them to a family reunion in WA. The folks were a bit slow on tasting them and then POOF the fish were all gone.

Smoked fish is great fish!

·
Registered
471 Posts
You're in Alder country right? And looks like they were hot smoked. That would be my choice of fuel and that is all. No rub or brine. Just smoke.

This is what I like to do to Keta salmon. Rub. 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup Kosher salt (or fine Korean sea salt of equal weight as Kosher), 1 table spoon fresh cracked black pepper and fresh dill sprigs. This will be more hot smoked Grav-Lox. Mix all the dry ingredients and rub it on the fish. Now as to how much depends on the fish.

If trout. I would split it (butterfly bone in or fillets) then lightly sprinkle the dry on to the fish and either rough chop the dill and sprinkle on the fish or just bruise the dill and place on top of the fish. Let it hang out in the fridge over night or few hours on the counter. The salt and the sugar will cure the fish faster on the counter. Now you can either smoke it as is, if you didn't put too much cure or in a large bowl with cold water you can lightly rinse off the cure then smoke.

Maple syrup could be used as well to make the rub stick. For this method I would just rub maple on and then sprinkle salt and black pepper then smoke. You can also use frozen apple juice concentrate. Trick to this is to use the bit that will pour out (the syrup), right after you take it out of the freezer. Now do it like maple rub. With these methods you don't need to rinse or a long cure before smoking.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought your post was going to be about some event of your mis-spent youth in the Marine Corps. :p
Oh my! You mean... "trouser trout"???? Say it's not so!

Dag-gone though, I do loves me some trout (no, not THAT kind!), but I've never had smoked trout, I bet that is gooood!
I bet if you'da figured out a way to get them bones down, they'd be gone too...😁

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was my first attempt at smoking any fish. I can't say if it was better than smoked salmon. All I know is that my mom and my 10 year old son loved it and my son is a picky eater. My wife is Brazilian and wouldn't try it. She would have if I deep fried it until it was jerky, like they do back in Brazil, but brined and smoked was too radically different for her.

Us normal folk loved it. I've been really wanting to do more fishing and I'm trying to catch steelhead in the lakes and rivers, and red tail perch off the surf. There's a guy locally that has a youtube page dedicated to fishing off the surf. He catches red tail and sometimes ling cod from the shore.

Tony.

·
Premium Member
15,230 Posts
Now, ya makin me hongri. Nice job Tony. Many moons ago when my kids were young, if it couldn't have been complimented by mac and cheese, they wouldn't even try new things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts