M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Guys

I would like some ideas on what to buy for my first m14.
Which ones are better and which ones to stay away from.
Just looking for a shooter grade,,,, Thanks

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
JMHO but a standard rack grade will do ya just fine right out of the box. If later on down the road you want to start addin' fancy schmancy national match goodies to it you can do so at that time.

Of course a nice Preban with a bayo lug would be nice to snatch up should you find one layin' roiund somewheres. Not that you'll be doin' any fix bayonets around the back yard but it does make it appear more like the real deal M14s in appearance. Ifn' your a Kali resident or one of them nasty states then you'll have to remove it in order to get legal and that would be a downright shame to have to do to such a fine Preban.

Most will purchase one with a nice walnut stock and remove and replace with a USGI synthetic to beat around the bushes with and save the wood for presentation purposes or later resale. Unless of course your gonna go with a bedded match stock.

Decisions ... Decisions ... Decisions ... :roll:

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Harold,

Welcome to the Firing Line... the "first" is a big decision... a standard or "rack" grade still comes in several flavors as you saw in Six's post... Do you have a budget that you are working with? And how quickly are you looking at getting this rifle?

A standard pre-ban will go for a $100 - $200 more than a post ban rifle but it will hold its value if you should ever decide to sell it... but they do not come along everyday... you need to bide your time until a good deal comes along...

If you're in a hurry, then a standard Springfield Armory M1A should suit your needs...

Hope it helps... and Good Luck on your "first" M14/M1A...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
39 Posts
first time buyer

hey guys, lets not forget that other brand, polytech. they make a good starter m14 and upgrades are out there to fit just about anybodys wallet. keep an eye on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com and dont worry about the reserve, i bought both of my polytechs under reserve, guess they got tired of posting them but they were too high to start with. good luck and happy shooting.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHOP AROUND

FOR A USED ONE ,WITH ALL USGI PARTS ,IF YOU ARE PATENICE YOU CAN FIND A CLOSET OR GUN RACK QUEEN FOR A COUPLE HUNDRED LESS THAN THE NE W SPRINGFIELD ARMORY ONES AND HAVE A MUCH BETTER RIFLE

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Yep, you guys are right... Harold, the Polytechs might make a fine "first"... I've been looking for one as well... but I never seem to have any luck!!! :cry:

Oh, well, I guess I gotta keep looking.. 8O

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ,, I'm in no hurry,,
I'll go to Knob Creek Gun Range and check them out, They have 5 or 6 Springfields and one chinese made.
Also what book would you advise,, for parts id and assembly?
Would there be any cost savings buying a parts kit and reciever and building one myself? Doesn't look like it from what I've found.
Parts kit 700
Reciever 450
Gunsmith for head space ?? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts