M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Thought i'd give my report in here as well....(I added this to my original post on amback since they also helped me out choosing this firearm):

This Sunday I took this puppy out and put exactly 25 rounds @ 50 yards through her. After reading all about this gun in here and elsewhere I had high hopes. Were those hopes realized?

You betcha!! It was fun to shoot for sure. I learned how to sight it in (thanks for the tips icormba) and when rested on sand bags it was extremely accurate. I could not shoot well at all standing up though - I need practice there with any gun. Muzzle rise was negligible and recoil was as well (at least to me). I am 6'0" and 180 lbs. I also shoot lefty - no problem there.

My biggest concern - obnoxious loudness - just wasn't there. The guys shooting the Cali Legal AR right next to me sounded louder and they have a .223!!! (Cant explain that one)
In other words, it was not any louder than all the other guns out there I thought.

I had trouble at first moving the windage knob it was so tight but finally was able to get it to move. 24 rounds loaded perfectly. But on one of them, I inserted the mag, pulled back the op rod, but as I moved it forward slowly (i didn't let the op rod spring chamber the round simply so i could watch the cartridge enter the chamber) it didnt fire. I think it was because i didnt load it correctly. When i pulled back the op rod to exit the round it didnt fly out like it was supposed to. So i had to use my fingers to get it out. Again, i think thats because i didn't let the gun do what it was supposed to do though and chamber the round quickly. (Any input on this would be nice)

SO anyway, for those of you who did a search on "SOCOM" and are reading this thread - (like i did 100+ of the last few months) - GET THIS GUN. Its awesome. I actually had a few admirers of this firearm (the ones shooting the AR) who took some photos of it.

My only concern is that it seems to be chewing up the back of the cartridge a little bit more than normal (comparing it to icormba's M1 Garand) as evident by both the back of the brass and there were lots of tiny brass shavings all around the chamber. I saved some brass and will post photos of the backs of them soon - maybe you guys can tell me if this is "normal" or not.

I'll also post the type of ammo I was using, which I cant remember at the moment.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Tom,

Good post. I love my SOCOM as well and my first outing with her was very similar. You encountered the same thing I did - my brass was also chewed up. I first thought somehow it was getting chewed up by the extractor somehow. I'm now kind of curious as I didn't have chewed up brass with my Super Match. Hopefully some of the 'wisdom' around here will chime in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good to hear it Tom. I would bet that the one FTF was because the bolt face never got to seat itself against the cartridge. When the bolt went home, it didn't go all the way home. Your firing pin was hit by the hammer but the pin couldn't reach the primer. The chewed up brass is a tough one. I know you'll get a good answer on this board though.

The socom is one sweet weapon hope to hear more and see some of the pics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
cool

Sounds like you got a winner! :lol:

I don't know about the brass. Maybe post a pic and someone with intimate knowledge of the action can help.

Your SOCOM should be effective out to at least 300 meters, so when you get a chance, opener'up and let 'em fly. If you don't have a long range target, try keeping all your shots in a 1-2" circle at 25-50 meters. This equals 4moa and you will be able to engage targets (assuming proper sight corrections) out to 300-500 meters - if you can see the target that far.

Have fun and safe shooting.

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
Our rifle handle brass in a military smash and bash manner not like some civie slick and smooth manner but from the looks of your brass those look to be extractor marks as when the extractor snaps over the rim durring the feed from the mag in our case normal to me. Also .223 is louder than .308 I think that .223 cracks at 165 desibils(sp) and .308 around 130ish

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
Our rifle handle brass in a military smash and bash manner not like some civie slick and smooth manner but from the looks of your brass those look to be extractor marks as when the extractor snaps over the rim durring the feed from the mag in our case normal to me. Also .223 is louder than .308 I think that .223 cracks at 165 desibils(sp) and .308 around 130ish

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Brass looks fine to me. And your FT Fire was due to the bolt not being fully closed. You could have had an out-of-battery experience --- very bad thing!

Always let the bolt slam home by itself!

DAve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.