M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reloaded 500 rds or so for my M1A with help from this site and I appreciate it.

I now have an M1 Garand on the way and have a few rookie questions.

#1 Crimp? with the recoil of the 30-06 and the action slamming around I "assume" I should use at least a light crimp. Please advise?

#2 Also my Hornady manual has loads for the M1 Garand using 178gr bullets. Can I load 180gr's in there? I mean whats 2gr?? Does anyone load 180's in their Garand.
Reason I ask is that I have hundreds of speer 180 gr SP laying around and would like to use em for the Garand If I can do so safely.

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
975 Posts
Rifle dies have a roll crimp. This can only be used with cannelured bullets. with non-cannelured (match) bullets, do not set the dies to crimp at all. Proper neck tension should be work for the Garand. 180 grain bullets can be used. They can be harder on the rifle but if you load them light enough, with fast enough powder, they can be gentle on the rifle. Some of Hornady Garand load data is a bit odd. The NRA Garand load data is more consistent but the max loads can be pretty hot.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rifle dies have a roll crimp. This can only be used with cannelured bullets. with non-cannelured (match) bullets, do not set the dies to crimp at all. Proper neck tension should be work for the Garand. 180 grain bullets can be used. They can be harder on the rifle but if you load them light enough, with fast enough powder, they can be gentle on the rifle. Some of Hornady Garand load data is a bit odd. The NRA Garand load data is more consistent but the max loads can be pretty hot.
How about the Lee factory crimp die? would that be good to tighten them up a bit?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Sir, I've never crimped a round for the Garand, there's no need IMHO. As long as the case is sized correctly in a FL die (which is a must), there will be plenty of neck tension. HTH

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ayup, no crimping necessary if you've sized them properly. Some rifle die sets come with a taper-crimp. I used to use one until a couple years ago and didn't see any improvement or problem when I didn't crimp. I suspect deforming the bullet by crimping it would not show up until you get out past 300 yards.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
some people will swear up and down you have to crimp. i however have never crimped for the M1, M1A, or AR's, its just not necessary.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Most rifle dies have a roll crimp. To use a roll crimp at all requires a bullet with a cannelure. Roll crimping without a cannelure can loosen the neck tension and bulge the case mouth. With match bullets a crimp is not required. The Lee Factory crimp should be alright be isn't needed.

What powder are you going use? The NRA has load data for IMR-4895 but the load data that IMR sent me a few years ago included IMR-4895 and IMR-4064 for 150 and 165 grain bullets but for 180 grain bullets only had IMR-4064 as the fastest powder recommended. I find that H4895 and Varget to be less position sensitive in 30-06 than the IMR powders.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I reload 168 grain BTHP match for both the M-14 and Garand.
Never ever crimped and never had a problem..MCORPS1

Siefly
MC1

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I never roll crimp for the M1 but I have found a "slight" improvement in some FMJ loads if I do a light "touch" taper crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp die. I don't squeeze anything, just do a light tough that helps align the bullet and case if I'm using military cases. If I'm using match bullets, no crimping at all.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Good info, guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here is some of the info I use. I trashed a Op-Rod in the 1980's using factory 180 grain hunting rounds. Didnt know the difference back then. I always recomend this article. An adjustable gas plug is also an option. Here are a few links that have alot of info.

"Reloading For The M1 Rifle" by John R. Clarke in the March 1986 American Rifleman has a wealth of information you need for M1 reloads. (Available for around $10 on line)

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285321

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a taper crimp die after the round is loaded. It is an extra step, but that is how I was taught. I have had good luck with the 170 gr btfmj and IMR 4895 powder.GI1

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
I have crimped and not crimped without seeing much if any difference. The only thing I urge is never, I mean NEVER, use any slow powders. Stick with IMR-4895.

-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts