M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new Loaded M1A out today. Got settled in and took my time breaking in the new barrel. After 30 rds I started sighting in the scope. After a couple shots and everything zeroed in, I shot for accuracy. First ammo I tested was CBC M80 Ball ammo. It was the same ammo I used to condition the barrel. Accuracy was not bad, about 1.5-2.0 MOA. No need to take a pic of that. Next up was a bit of a surprise. Remington UMC 150 gr. FMJ. Shot amazingly well for the price. I can get this ammo locally for $13.00 a box. All shot were at 100 yards using a front bag and were 5 shot groups.

This was the first group. The flyer was my fault.

Next group went better once I was settled in.

Next I tried some Black Hills #D308N1 168 gr. BTHP. Love this ammo.

Small POI shift but I am okay with it.

Heres the rifle and setup. Only change to the gun was the addition of a Sadlak Op Rod Spring Guide.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The Loaded Rifles do well and it looks like you have a good one. The Bassett mount is a plus. Stock looks pretty nice as well. What's the scope?

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,096 Posts
Nice rifle and good shooting!
It likes that Black Hills. Don't be afraid to try other match ammo or build a reload for it, it may shoot a bit better, but if not that's very nice.
m14brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scope is an Osprey International that I picked up years ago. I think the company is out of business now. Its a 10-40x50 scope. Ive got a SWFA SS MRAD 6x42 that will be here Thursday that will live on this rifle. I use this scope mostly as a backup and a spotting scope.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice, my loaded model show like that out of box after scoping it as well. Gave it to my uncle since I had picked up some NM and other pieces and just had too many M1As than I could financially sustain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rings were changed to a colt one piece mount i had. Which i like better because it moves the scope back about 2 inches. I ordered the SWFA but it was on backorder. Got the shipment notification pretty quick tho. So im happy.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,637 Posts
Good looking rig HeavyGunner and the pictures show that you have a great tack driver for your rifle range visits.

GI5

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Egads man, those are nice looking groups for a Loaded model. I think you found the load your rifle reallllly likes. Man, I would be afraid to clean the rifle after shooting groups like that.

Do us a favor the next time you head to range with that Black hills ammo... shoot 4 - 5 shot groups on the same target and enter your rifle in the 1.5 MOA competition as seen in another thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well on this rifle I decided to start off by using the Tubbs Final Finish System. First thing I did was clean the rifle. Brushed and cleaned and I always finish with rubbing alcohol. I stay away from solvents that remove copper fouling. Primarily stay towards powder solvents only. Shoot 5 and clean. Shoot 5 and clean. I use a timer and space shots 1 minute apart. I keep doing this till all of the Tubbs was used and switched to standard ammo. I used the UMC ammo for this. I would shoot 5 and clean. Do this 3 times and then shoot 10 and clean. After this I sight in the rifle. I notice that the cleaning process gets easier and the patches and brush are easier to move throughout the barrel. Most rifles dont see the Tubbs system. But have a strict break in cycle. I feel they all perform well after this process. As long as I do my part that is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice that you got your loaded model to shoot that well. I recently picked up a used loaded model that the previous owner claimed he couldn't get to shoot well. After disassembling the gun I found numerous issues with contact points between the stock and gas system and contact points with the op-rod and barrel. Even the op-rod guide wasn't positioned correctly, canted. So after addressing those issues the gun STILL didn't shoot well. I took it to my gunsmith and he checked out the barrel, ah ha ! The barrel is oversized and varies in diameter throughout it's length. No wonder it doesn't shoot well. So now it's gonna get rebarreled. It's just a shame that with rifles this expensive that there isn't more Quality Control from Springfield Armory. Fortunately I got a good enough deal on the gun that rebarreling won't break the bank.DI2

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
^^^^^POST #15 ^^^^^No mouse gun^^^^^^ , You neglected to inform us as to the year or amount of rds thru it. Your used loaded could well be an 94' model with 25K rds thru it .When you buy a used rifle with "known" problems it's always a crap shoot. Who manufactured the barrel? If it's relatively new , why not warranty it ? If it's as bad as you say you won't even get "in your bank" . They do honor their warranty.

Reactions: Glashaus

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Wow, nice shooting rifle AND nice shooting!!

I have two questions:

1) How do you like that Bradley check rest? I've been eyeing one for my JRA build that is going in a USGI stock I do not wish to drill for a TacPro.

2) Sounds like you just followed the instructions for the Tubbs final finish bullets. Did you buy the loaded ammo or the bullets and load your own. I have some sitting on the shelf, but have not used them; maybe I should give them a try in my Blackfeather.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts