M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for a box from Brownells. I got a Sadlak guide rod, a Brownells spring kit, a Sadlak mag release and some cleaning tools. These are the first mods I'm doing to my new Socom 16. Good choices?

The guide rod has been suggested by many, but I have not heard anything about the mag release. Has anyone used the Sadlak mag release? Like most of us I can't leave things stock for long, guns, cars, bikes... I'm always changing something. I want to shoot it more before making other changes. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hey Cobra, love your avatar pic. The Sadlak NM Op Rod Spring Guide will really smooth up your M1A's action. As far as the Mag Release, it's nice having the oversized pad but it's not really necessary, the stock mag release works fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a shim set is worth it, very inexpensive and helps accuracy. I also like an extended bolt stop, unfortunately theres only 1 manufacturer of these right now.
I am interested in the shim set. I need to learn more about this. I am very mechanical and like to do things myself, but I'm not a gunsmith. Just what is involved?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
There's a tonyben YouTube video that will show you how to shim the gas system. Since you have a Socom 16, you won't need to use castle nut pliers.

Reactions: CobraBG

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a tonyben YouTube video that will show you how to shim the gas system. Since you have a Socom 16, you won't need to use castle nut pliers.
I watched the video. It couldn't be simpler. I've watched some of Tony's videos but never saw that one. Thanks!

Where is the best place to buy a shim kit?

Also I just received my Brownells shipment and was pleased to see that their Pro-Spring Kit is comprised of Wolff springs. Included are an extra power recoil spring, an extra power hammer spring, an ejector spring and an extractor spring. What are your thoughts on using all of these?

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Also make sure the Hand guard doesn't rub anywhere on the stock and that the operating rod doesn't rub anywhere.

Your using lots of grease right.?

If u do buy bolt parts wait for the ones you have now to fail. Many users buy a trigger group and if you plant it a gun safe and spend time on this website your trigger group will grow a whole new rifle.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'm also upgrading my SOCOM. I've been ordering parts this entire vacation. Can't wait to get back and assemble it.
Here's what I've got:
NM Op Rod Spring Guide
Gas Shim Kit ($10 at Treelinem14.com)
SEI Gas Lock (allows the mounting of a standard M1A sight)
Standard Front Sight
USGI Stocks
Standard Rear Sight
VG6 Muzzle Brake

I don't know if I need the springs by Wolfe, but I may eventually get them just 'cause.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some great feedback so far, thanks! BIGTHUMPUP

What about the spring kit I detailed? I am definitely going to use the recoil spring, but I'm not sure about the hammer, ejector and extractor springs.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,075 Posts
What about the spring kit I detailed? I am definitely going to use the recoil spring, but I'm not sure about the hammer, ejector and extractor springs.
I'm not sure about the Brownell's kit, I use Wolff extra power op rod springs, and have had good success. I'd keep the other springs as spare parts for now.
Replace the op rod springs every 2,000 rounds or 15 inch minimum length, I go with round count.
m14brian

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's an update "pics"

Well I finally had time to install the parts. Everything went in easily. I was concerned about disassembling the bolt to install the Wolff ejector and extractor springs, but it was simple even without the special tool I was told I needed. I also installed the Wolff extra power hammer spring, the Wolff extra power recoil spring and the Sadlak spring guide and mag release. These rifles seem easy to work on.

I know, you can't see the guide rod and the springs.

Here you can see the Sadlak mag release.

I watched Tony Ben's video about shimming the gas block and I'm not sure if I need to do it. My ferrule fits tight... so there is no need to shim it... correct? I would like some suggestions for a sling. I use a Vickers VCAS sling on my AR and tried an extra one I had on the Socom. I didn't seem to work well. I need a good general purpose sling for carrying, not a target sling. Thanks

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I realized the same thing about my gas lock. There was nothing loose about it and took quite a bit of effort to screw it all the way on, so I decided not to shim it.

As for slings, have you looked into the Magpul MS1 sling? I don't own one yet, but it is a modern alternative. Also, I really like Specter slings for the M1A and Mini14.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.