M14 Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
In my humble opinion, one shoots paper to "learn it" then shoots steel targets to "apply it". High Power competition is often misunderstood in people thinking that it is "training". It isn't. It is a competition designed to teach, and perfect, the basic fundamentals of marksmanship (sight alignment, position, trigger control, wind reading). Everything one learns in HP competition, has application in real-life shooting. The gear we use, like the coats, only help in tightening up our groups. The techniques you learn in HP shooting will only help you in any other rifle shooting applications you do - including hunting.

Like most others here, I started shooting when I was knee-high to a cricket. For all my young days, I dreamed of shooting the matches at Camp Perry. I considered it the "Mecca" of shooting. It wasn't until I was 40 when I finally decided to start competing (call it my mid-life crisis). Now, after 8 years of attendance, Camp Perry has yet to dissapoint me (though I've dissapointed myself many times).

As you can tell, I'm a BIG advocate of HP rifle shooting and would encourage anyone wanting to bring their rifle performance up a level, give the sport a try. Your only real competitor is yourself.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.