M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 1st M1A yesterday. A standard with walnut stock. Only 40 rounds through it in the last 2 years. Almost brand new still. It looks great next to the Springfield M1 Garand I have.

Thanks to this site I ordered some CMI 20 round magazines from 44mag.com.

Now to find some ammo at a "reasonable" price. I've had a couple thousand empties, tumbled, ready for reloading, in ammo cans for 15 plus years. I may have to reload.

I wanted one prior to the AWB. But couldn't afford the $750 price tag back then. Should have borrowed the money. A bit more spendy now. I think I did ok though.

I can hardly wait to get to the range. The previous owner(great guy, Viet Nam vet) boasted of a 1.5" grouping at 100 yds.

Brett in Boise

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle! We're glad to have you here. Be sure to go to the M14 Stickies section, you'll learn more than you ever thought could be about your rifle.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Check the posts and you will see regular deals on both surplus and occasionally on commercial ammo. Congrats on the new rifle.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle! They are pretty special rifles for all of us so you should feel right at home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle!

It seems any NIB SA M1A for under $1,300 these days is a deal...

I found my standard synthetic model at a dealer in Florida for $1,250. Have had a friend/gunsmith go through it and rework some of the parts. Just got a USGI M14 stock for it, planning on a USGI bolt in the near future...I love it!

Holds 2.5 to 3 minute groups with M80 ball.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called SA today with the SN and discovered it is the loaded model (MA9222) built July,09. I feel like I need to buy a lotto ticket this weekend!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Look around in The Ammo Bunker for some great prices on DAG: right now it's some of the best NATO surplus at the best price out there. Lots of good ammo out there but for some reason the DAG seems to be the most reasonable cost right now. And stay away from anything steel cased!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Grats on your new rifle. I haven't done any reloading but might start later this year. Been saving brass but most of it is 5.56.DI5

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And stay away from anything steel cased!
I've heard that before. But I don't recall as to why?

This is becoming a bit of an obsession. The first M1A I passed on was because I read the SN incorrectly in the photo. After conversating with owner of said M1A. I've found out the real SN. What I thought was 123XXX is actually 023XXX. Do I really need 2 of these?

Brett in Boise

·
Registered
980 Posts
Oh, you poor SOB, now you're in for it. It's in your blood now and you can't get it out. You're hooked. Welcome to the club and congrats on a beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Yeah, sucka!! For years I only had one............and now I have five. How'd that happen!?!?!?! Oh poor me GI8

·
Registered
397 Posts
Its a obsession this rifle, just like its father the M1.
It's more aptly called an addiction, but that's good. You've made it to the first step which is recognizing there's a problem. Now there's just eleven more to go.

Be forewarned, no one else here has gotten past the first step... GI7

1 - 20 of 24 Posts