M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first M1A is in! I only took one picture of it with my phone while at my FFL's so here she is:

She's a 101XXX National Match and the seller says he's only put 40 rounds (exactly) down the barrel. I have not taken it apart so I do not know what parts are USGI and what are not, but will when I get it. Any advice on where to look for the stampings? Also the receiver has never been out of the stock, will there be issues since it was fired 10 years ago? I do plan on taking it apart to give her a good clean before I shoot, any suggestions on how to do it without ruining the bedding? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sounds like you did good.
I don't foresee any issues with the fact that it is 10 years old. Check it over, strip her down, clean and grease, re-assemble and shoot.
Beading is worn during the normal course of operation, i.e. shooting it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, she is still at my FFLs, at least another week before I get her. I hate Maryland laws.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Congratulations on the new rifle. You made a great choice and she looks perfect. Let us know more about it as you learn.GITEN

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dumb question: how will I know if a part is USGI or not? Will it actually be stamped "USGI"? Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dumb question: how will I know if a part is USGI or not? Will it actually be stamped "USGI"? Thanks.
No such thing as a dumb question.

Some USGI parts can be identified by what is stamped on them. In particular the bolt, op rod, trigger housing, hammer and barrel which will have the manufacturer's identification and a drawing number. Occasionally other parts like the safety and parts of the rear sight assembly are stamped with the manufacturer's ID.

If you post your rifle's parts markings here someone will identify them.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
make sure that gas system is clean. you can only clean it so good with out taking the gun apart so it may have some carbon. if they guy only shot it 40 times it shouldnt be too dirty though. nice looking gun! did you get a deal on it?

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,020 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

Congratulations on your new rig, we will all be waiting for the range report to follow-up.DI5

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just had a look at it...still at FFLs due to Maryland laws. I didn't take it apart but did see the bolt had HRT stamped on it. I also noticed the inletting in the wood for the trigger group was less than clean. Somewhat disappointed, but I bought her as a shooter not a safe queen. This will make me feel better about taking her hunting.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Congrats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.