M14 Forum banner

First M14 - Would like Socom

2211 Views 27 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  CharlieLima
As the title suggests, I am working towards a build. Can anyone give me some pointers or ideas? Is it reasonable to make a good quality build for around 12 to 1300?? I am literally coming at this blind. I have my mind set on the shorter barrel SOCOM , possibly a Scout. Not sure the difference between the two.

I am not concerned with glass or optics at this time due to budget reasons, I already have an aimpoint red dot on my AR which I am assuming I could swap?

Any tips would be appreciated
Reactions: Novak77
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,092 Posts
$1,300? I think that would be tough, real tough, even to build on your own.

Do you have all the gauges and tools already? They're not cheap. The parts you may be able to get for $1,300, if you're super patient and just keep checking the PX here, sometimes people just need to unload stuff.

I think for a SOCOM for $1,300 youd be better served buying one on Armslist locally. They tend to be the rifle that people buy, but then want to unload because it just wasnt for them. Scouts tend to be harder to come by, at least here in FL that's the case.

· Super Moderator
12,479 Posts
Reimos is a close personal friend of mine but not really an M14 guy (I guess he wants one now). We've known each other for about 18 years. He was at my wife's 40th birthday party yesterday. He spends Thanksgiving at our house nearly every year. We go to church together.

We went hunting together this past year. I kinda taught him how to shoot pistols. My son calls him Uncle Moses.

Tony.

· Registered
2,155 Posts
As the title suggests, I am working towards a build. Can anyone give me some pointers or ideas? Is it reasonable to make a good quality build for around 12 to 1300?? I am literally coming at this blind. I have my mind set on the shorter barrel SOCOM , possibly a Scout. Not sure the difference between the two.

I am not concerned with glass or optics at this time due to budget reasons, I already have an aimpoint red dot on my AR which I am assuming I could swap?

Any tips would be appreciated

I would recommend buying a Socom, you can buy one brand new for $1199.00. I think you would be in over your head on a build, not to mention the cost would be substantially higher.

· Registered
16,805 Posts
For someone's first foray into the M14 world, I usually recommend a rifle that is as close to the original design as possible. After you become completely familiar with the platform, your second rifle can be lighter or heavier, to fit your needs.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Lol, then scratch my last post.....

You have a friend with tools and know how. And you have a friend that probably has his own "PX" in parts laying around, lol.

Yes, I bet you could build one for close to that price. It's like the best friend of Fords CEO wondering if he could get an F250 for $20k, lol. Automatic answer is "no"... get the back story, then "yes", haha.

· Registered
328 Posts
I've never owned a SOCOM or Scout, so this is just my opinion based off of owning other .308 auto loaders.

I'd personally get a Scout or have Tony build you something with a 18"-ish barrel. Those shorter barrel 16" .308s get real loud.

I've got a few things on my priority list, but after I dial all of those in a Scout type build is next.

Good luck and have fun.

· Registered
390 Posts
I would keep an eye on the PX and not sure if this is allowed to say but hop over to AR15 and check out the equipment exchange theirs currently a ton of socoms over their right now some with nice additional parts that are within your budget. That said I personally own a 16” 308 in a AR platform and a 22” Loaded if I had it to do over I’d have a scout instead of the 16” and everyone interested in M1A should own a loaded IMHO YMMV

ETA: Must have skipped Tony’s comment. After reading that I understand the build plan whats the intended use of the rifle?

· Registered
330 Posts
Build?? No way for that price range. Buy?, yes as Johnb2488 stated you can buy a new SAI SOCOM 16 from PSA for 1199.99, that is what I did. That price is so good I'm thinking of getting a second one.

If you went to build one I would throw another $1k on top of the 1200.00 (as a baseline) for parts and the tooling alone(if starting from scratch) would cost hundreds of dollars(more like 500+),action wrench, barrel vise, head space gauges, reamer set up, leveling devices, etc.

· Registered
200 Posts
My first M1a was a SOCOM II. The “Bring enough gun add got me.” No regrets as it is one of my favorites. Now I have 7 M1as and the SOCOM II and Scout are my favorites, although my Match rifle is a close 3rd.

SOCOMS Re fun, just not as accurate as the others. The guys at the 3 gun shoots sure love when I shoot it though. Here is a video. No comments about my skills please. Turn the volume up. Listen to the crowd.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7XXRw...top_uri=/watch?v=7XXRwSG4zLg&feature=youtu.be

· Registered
2,155 Posts
Check out sportmans outdoor superstore they had them @1200 as well. Buy new then you have a lifetime warranty, having tony in your back pocket is definitely not a bad thing. He has enough parts under the kitchen sink to build you one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.