M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, potential new semi M-14/M1A buyer here. I am new to the M-14/M1A platform but a long time shooter. Based on my research on this site and some other webforums, I found myself somewhat disappointed that the standard rifle only gets about 1.5-3 MOA depending on the rifle. I guess that was surprising considering I can do better out of some of my black guns.

I don't intend to shoot competition, and max ranges here are around 200 yards. which brings me to my next question the rifle. I have read enough that I have figured out that I don't want a Norinco. I have read lots of good things about Springfield's lifetime warranty, but then I have also read that GI parts are more desirable. I can't figure out however why the prices on certain rifles vary so much.

Here are a couple of rifles that I was scoping out for potential purchases, can someone tell me what makes these two so different price wise? I really like the one from Crocs but I am not sure I want to dump that much into a gun, that will only give me sub par accuracy. Do you think I should go with some of these or just get a higher end Springfield? Any advise would be helpful.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=419865045

http://m14forum.com/px/163085-lrb-winchester-m1a.html

http://m14forum.com/px/162922-springfield-m1a-golden-years.html

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
The first two are built by small shops using forged receivers. Most M14 style rifles use cast receiver (such as Springfield Armory and Fulton Armory).

The 2nd one is a good price. LRB rifles directly from their shop are closer to $3k.

The M14 was designed for service grade accuracy, which is 3-4 MOA. It was only intended to hit a man size target at 400 meters. Springfield Armory, as well as the other current shops, now use match grade barrels and target stocks to get the accuracy down under 2 MOA. Only the finest hand built rifles can get below 1 MOA on a regular basis.

The AR platform is relatively easy to accurize, especially if it is direct impingement.

If you want a reliable battle rifle, then any M14 style rifle using USGI or US made forged parts will give a lifetime of service. If you want match grade accuracy, it is going to cost a bit more, regardless of manufacturer. I would suggest buying a rifle based on quality of parts and reasonable price. You can always accurize the rifle later on if needed. The classified section of this forum usually has better prices than the auction sites, and the sellers tend to be more trustworthy.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Welcome to the forum. When you have a minute post on the "New User" and put up some sort of a profile. When you ask questions, it will help us to know what your experience and expectations are. The enjoyable thing on this forum is the discussions without the "Your wrong" or "That's not how to do it"........ The climate here is that there is "More than one way to skin a cat". Hundreds of years experience right here..... And no one is trying to sell you a product.

To your questions:

A standard question here is "What is your mission"... So, what is your mission with this weapon?

My perspective is more from the survivalist position:
#1 - When I pull a trigger... I want to hear "BANG". I don't want to hear "click" as a bad guy draws down on me and know that my weapon has a "Lifetime Warranty".... game's over.

#2 - I am a Senior Citizen... My most precious asset is time. I will not spend hours at a time talking to a weapon builder who is trying to solve the problem over the phone. A "grid down" situation means I can't call the factory. Sending a weapon back to the factory leaves me defenseless while it is gone.

#3 - When this House of Cards collapses, if I'm lucky, I can walk out of my house carrying 2 weapons and the ammo for them. I know what those two will be. Do you? Everything left behind goes to the bad guys.

#4 - My mission - To survive the first gun fight. If it goes bad, there is no reason to worry about the second gunfight. What's the bad guy going to be slinging at me? Something lighter and less accurate than my M1A.

#5 - Hands down, my grab and go weapon is build by LRB (at their shop) with USGI parts that I have acquired.

Here is a link to my most recent build showing the time line.

http://m14forum.com/gunsmithing/153980-m1a-retro-nm-build-hobo-2014-a.html

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The first two are built by small shops using forged receivers.
No there not the second on is. I would chose between second and third. I won't support the first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts