M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a bit ago stating I was looking for a Garand, and what to look for and etc. A few people reached out to me, and there were some pretty sweet rifles to be had. I am thankful to those who took their time with the offers/descriptions.

I ultimately settled on this one. Correct Springfield post war rifle. Very low barrel wear, muzzle wear 3/4 , throat wear 1. She has nice little tiger stripes in some spots.

I also got some little surprise presents with the rifle. Enblocs. Sling. More grease than I know what to do with. And a CMP certificate.

I have shot her a couple times. PPU 150 Garand ammo. I need to adjust the windage a bit, but she was pretty close to spot on. I was able to very consistently connect with a 24x36" plate at 475 yards. Big target, but fun for irons. I will dial the zero in and maybe try a dirty bird. I am not sure how much I will shoot this one... nor am I sure how many Garands I will own...

Pretty excited to add her to the herd! And thanks to the forum for making it happen!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Thats great!

I'm glad to have been a part of your success in some small way. You know by virtue of being on this forum with the guys that really helped out! LOL

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the other addiction. I have two. '55 HRA and a July/Aug. '44 Springer. You did good. Enjoy. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You will always remember your first!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fresh marks were from a 303 British. But the holes? 30-06 out of the Garand. There are a few 6.5 Creedmoor, but mostly 30-06.

Garands have a lot of soul, that is for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Very nice!
I asked my sister if she can get me Dad's next time she is up there...
I would love to have one!

But doubt I will ever get it

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Good looking Garand you have there...…be careful one leads to another ,then another.
Glad you like her, it was hard for me to let that one go but I had to thin the herd. Enjoy her

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Very nice! General Patton said "theM1rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.” After shooting one you can now see why.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Congratulations. I got my first for Christmas. Been getting to shoot it more now that weather has improved. Pretty well got it sighted in and am working on a reload for it. Great rifle but m14 is still my true love

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I ultimately settled on this one. Correct Springfield post war rifle. Very low barrel wear, muzzle wear 3/4 , throat wear 1. She has nice little tiger stripes in some spots.

I also got some little surprise presents with the rifle. Enblocs. Sling. More grease than I know what to do with. And a CMP certificate.
Looks great, and a perfect first M1 Garand, with a CMP certificate no less. Only thing I'd consider adding is a M5A1 bayonet, which aren't too hard to find and are usually reasonably priced. Congrats with the M1, it looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great Score !! The ghost tiger stripes really set it off. Congrats.
Yeah, that was the deal maker for me. The best part was the CMP certificate. I was super torn on getting a CMP first, like many recommended, and get the correct later... well I managed to get both all in one.

I have shot a couple Garands over the years. I always liked them. But owning one has been a real treat. It would still be a pretty capable rifle for most situations... I mean 8 problems is a lot of problems, and a M1 has 8 rather stiff answers to those problems.

I definitely want to get a bayonet to round her out. I am actually working on getting correct slings/bayonets for all of my rifles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts