M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new too the Garand Match normaly I shoot my M1, but today I wanted too run with my stick shift 03a1. Ammo issued on the line was Greek 78.

The weather was nice and sunny about 100* and the ground temp felt like 120* with the shooting coat on, wind was stiff, very stiff. Drank lots of water and need too wizz like a ruptured race horse by the end of the match.

On the line, proof in the puddin'. Not in the cards today. Normaly when I fire my Garand a normal score for me is in the 450 range, today it was a 323x2 and I had too work for it HARD! made alot of bone head era's #1 removing the rifle for my shoulder too work the bolt, one needs too move there head when working the bolt. #2 windage a little goes a long way.

All in all I'm tired in a good way, had a great time like I normaly do but more at the same time with just a little sun burn, give me some time and I'll be power shifting in no time.

·
"Death From Above"
11,935 Posts
Sounds like a great time regardless of the score! I went to my first match ever last week, I am hooked. I thought about dragging the 03A3 out one time before the end of the season. Any tips? I could use all the help you have, I made a few good blunders during my first match. One was during prep after coming out of the pits I thought I was squared aways and I left my magus in the bag over by the bench, I squeezed off one sighters and realized I did not have my earplugs in and when I got home I was wondering why my scores fell off the charts after the offhand strings and I realized my flash hider was loose. I had just changed it for one that had the lug ground off. I learned a lot that day. I am totally hooked and cant wait for the next match on july 16th, I am trying to get in one with a different league on july 10th. I found a new drug!!!!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The weather was nice and sunny about 100* and the ground temp felt like 120* with the shooting coat on, wind was stiff, very stiff. Drank lots of water and need too wizz like a ruptured race horse by the end of the match.
You sure you're still in AZ? That looks like Texas. It's too hot here to shoot a bolt gun at anything except under the canopy at the .22 silhouettes.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Phil

First I think you did good. After all it was your first match with a bolt rifle.
Second you learned it is a lot harder to shoot and "yank and crank", that to just "shoot".

I have always wanted to shoot a Match with a bolt rifle.

I used to have a buddy, and "old head" that shot a 1903, with a reciever sight, he did have a Krieger barrel, but he could hold his own with any of us.
He won several of our club matches, he was quite the shooter.

And he did it with a "Real Rifle".DI5

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tips? well for any new Match shooter its always good too hang arround the RIGHT ol'salts and when there talkin open your ears. I got 4 good tips that I will add too my bolt gun habit. Two I have shared, one is rifle oriented and the last is ammo related. The last two are easy but I think I'm going too hold off for now, and the rest will be up too ME.

I used too shoot 2x month and sometimes up to 4x I have always had a good time and the guys I shoot with are The GREATEST CREW, my shooting has come too a almost screaching halt compared too before my work now has rotating days off so I get maybe six a year now and I'm on the Diabetic pills as well. If I didn't have such a good time shooting and shared those times will the guys I do shoot with I think I would have moved on and got out.

Back to the here and now, This morning I was pretty ampped up, and like LevisDad said I had no zero's and a new too me rifle I got the elevation on in a few rds, the windage was from one side too the next, too my surprise in the offhand I found I like shooting the 03 better than I like shooting my M1, even with the extra recoil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.