M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently finished my setup and started loading. Been waiting for a while on an opportunity to get to the range, so I have batches in a few different calibers to try out when I finally get out there.

(Left) Sierra 175gr MatchKings (for boltgun) over 40.0gr IMR4064 in Hornady brass.
(Right) Nosler 168gr Ballistic Tip Hunting (for M1A) over 42.0gr IMR4064 in Federal brass.

Going to the range today for assessment. I'm excited! Report to follow soon.
GI1

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ahhh...I remember my first set of reloads....it seems so long ago RNGR1.

Isn't that first batch just a thing of beauty, all shiny and pointy especially the Noslers with the cute green tip (and in my case Hornady SSTs with a red tip)?

Good work and I hope they shoot well. Wait until you see your tuned loads shrinking your M1A groups. You'll never go back to using that plebeian Commercial grade ammo.

Tight groups.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just think, with all the money you've saved you can buy more reloading tools, components...
whenever any of my non reloading friends ask me about reloading I tell them that although it’s theoretically possible to save money reloading, really what it ends up doing is enabling you to shoot more and in the end you simply end up spending more and shooting a lot more. Not that there’s a downside to it... DI2

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
Nothing like the first batch....... you wonder "will they really go down range when I pull the trigger" -> will the flash hider blow off the end of the barrell -> you read the reloading manuals and check the process over and over before you start, recheck the powder and OCL and all the other stuff you do!

But there is nothing like shooting an awesome group knowing you loaded the ammo or taking game and knowing you put the perfect hunting load together.

I remember my first Mule Deer I took out in Montana - I used a .270 Husqvarna [beautiful bolt action] with 150 Gr. Grand Slam's and after running up and down and up several breaks - I was out of breathe and had a 320 yard shot facing me! I did everything I could to remember [to make a good shot] and sent the round down range [yes my reloads went down range] and I thought I missed the shot? But my guide said excellent shot and after what seemed like a minute [only seconds] the mule deer crashed to the ground!

The .270 was given to me by my grandfather [he also tought me to reload rifle and shotgun shells] and the loads that went down range that day were mine - it always makes it special or at least to me it does!

Good luck on your first range trip - welcome to the addiction and congrats on your fisrt of many batches...

M1Army

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ahhh...I remember my first set of reloads....it seems so long ago RNGR1.
Yep, slam one in, point in the general direction of the target, close your eyes, grit your teeth, and pull the trigger.

If you're still sitting at the bench when you open your eyes, take proper aim for the second shot.

Noslers sure make a pretty load, all those different color tips, and so do Hornady AMAX.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Boy they are Pretty! I bet they shoot Good!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Center group was the Sierra 175s at 100yds through my boltgun a scope at 4X power.
Top group was the Nosler 168s at 100yds through my M1A using irons. Sights were obviously pretty off, but at least it grouped decently.

My OAL's were apparently not consistent, as a good 9 or 10 of my 25 rounds were too long to fully seat into the chamber. They were supposed to be seated to 2.800" but I admit, I got the first one just right and then just cranked out the rest of them without measuring. Lesson learned, I guess....

At least they worked though, right!? No catastophic failure! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Glad they worked out.

One thing that might be bear watching relates to your observation that some of the rounds did not chamber. If those rounds were too long, either your chamber is cut really, really short (which would concern me for reliability reasons) or something needs to be tweaked in your bullet seating process.

I would seat some bullets at different depths on empty shell casing and see what length they stop chambering. This will be your max OAL (for that bullet). I'd be shocked if it was anything close to 2.80".

Also, while I'm sure you planned this next test - seat some bullets using your normal technique and measure the Cartridge OAL (COAL). If you see large COAL variations (+/- 0.005") something in your technique or equipment needs to be tweaked.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Since the Bullet seater should be seating by the Ogive even if the length of the projectile is slightly off (they usually are) the distance between the Ogive and the Lands should remain the same. If you measure from the Ogive to get your OAL and not the tip of the Bullet and there are drastic differences something is "Loose"on your die/press.
I have seen different lots of Bullets have the Ogive in a different place but that is a whole other story.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Some projectiles don’t seat as consistently in some of the presses and even the most consistent will have some variance in seating. Plus, if you do -anything- at all to the press, dies, holder, what have you, there will be a variance. On a progressive, difficulty at one of the other stations will also affect OAL. You just have to measure more often and go from there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Center group was the Sierra 175s at 100yds through my boltgun a scope at 4X power.
Top group was the Nosler 168s at 100yds through my M1A using irons. Sights were obviously pretty off, but at least it grouped decently.
[pic of target]

My OAL's were apparently not consistent, as a good 9 or 10 of my 25 rounds were too long to fully seat into the chamber. They were supposed to be seated to 2.800" but I admit, I got the first one just right and then just cranked out the rest of them without measuring. Lesson learned, I guess....

At least they worked though, right!? No catastophic failure! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they fit in the magazine, but not in the chamber, then the COAL (seating function) is OK, but you did not bump the shoulder back far enough and/or trim the case enough.

New cases (never fired) should be full length sized and/or gaged in a pattern gage like a Wilson or Dillon or RCBS precision mike or Hornady Insp. tool. You can check the trim length with calipers. Never assume the new case is to any particular specification dimension-wise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.