M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rumor floating around tells of an impending regulation requiring registration of all firearms used on government property, specifically military ranges that are open to the public. I heard it last night from an avid trap shooter and member of a local skeet and trap club that often competes with the local military range club at their facility. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Politics in the FEEDBACK forum?

GI2

Seriously, first...this should not be in the Feedback Forum, Correct?

Secondly...it immediately went to POLITCAL!

CAV

Reactions: GARRARD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Firearms registration

Not a rumor, but a fact. I was the match director for Meade County Sportsman's Club last year. We ran the HP matches at Fort Knox. We have to fill out the same form as an active duty soldier to access the base with a firearm. They want every pertinent detail, including 'where is the firearm stored?' It has killed the LR and the HP program there. DennyMac

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,443 Posts
Sounds like an excellent reason to stop going there and seek out private ranges, even if it means driving further. Even if they know what you have already, no reason to condone what they're doing.
m14brian

·
Registered
389 Posts
Fort Benning came up w/ the bright idea to register ALL weapons brought on post- used to be only military personnel living on post.

So now, all soldiers (living on or off the post, active or retired), civil servants and any civilian that brings a weapon on post has to register it w/ the MPs/

The Provost Marshall got to hire a couple more civil servants to run/ clerk program.

Yep, registration form requires your home address...Yep, you have to show a drivers license and mil ID, if have one.

How this will assist law enforcement is beyond me, but maybe its just me.

And, unlike previous attempts at weapon reg. on post, this system is linked to the computer system that MPs have in their vehicles, so when one is stopped for a traffic violation, the MP/ DoD cop knows that you have weapons registered on the Post.

But, its a federal reservation and one signed away just about all rights when one enters...take it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's dod wide policy to register any weapons brought on base, But I'm forgetful from time to time. Plus I don't trust the man.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This has not been the case at the Marine Corps base where I've been shooting, so perhaps it's an Army thing (or perhaps selective enforcement)? Participants are required to register for matches in order to be able to enter the base, but no information on firearms has been collected.

Now if you LIVE on base, you are supposed to register everything.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
registering on base only applies to military personell who live on base or store weapons on base. its been that way for years. at least thats what its supposed to be. really what it bouls down to is the base CO and higher. they can do it if they want. here at mcas yuma they started putting out signs all over base telling the marines they have to register with pmo if they store them on base. ill find out more info and the order on this whole thing. i dont think it applies to off base property that isnt secured.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Was policy at Schofield for years. And has been policy at Benning since I got here. Needless to say, my firearms rarely come on post. And when they do, they're out of sight and out of mind, and I don't use the main gate.

Not a new thing. It has been this way for the last 6 years that I've been in. Not a DOD policy last I knew, but up to the CG's discretion.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
registering on base only applies to military personell who live on base or store weapons on base. its been that way for years. at least thats what its supposed to be. really what it bouls down to is the base CO and higher. they can do it if they want. here at mcas yuma they started putting out signs all over base telling the marines they have to register with pmo if they store them on base. ill find out more info and the order on this whole thing. i dont think it applies to off base property that isnt secured.
May be post specific, but here at Ft. Benning any and all parties (with the exception of on duty LEO) must register firearms before bringing them on post. This includes hunters, and civilian competition shooters.

http://www.benning.army.mil/garrison/dpw/EMD/content/PDF/MCoE Reg 190-11 (27 AUG 12).pdf

See section 2-2.

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I have to do this when I take my rifle on Ft. Benning.

Also seems to get my car inspected as well when carrying these forms. Probably just trying to make it a PIA so folks don't bring firearms on base. Personally, I could care less because the receivers are all on transfer forms to me anyway.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
So it's firearms registration on military bases, not "government property". Doesn't apply to BLM, national forest, etc.

Tim

·
Registered
183 Posts
I work at Pax River NAS and we have to register any weapon we bring on base. The same is true for Webster Field Annex located in the same county here in Southern Maryland. We have kind of a deer problem down here and they allow hunting during the state season. In order to bring a muzzle loader, shotgun, and even bow on base you need to register it with the base cops. We also have a skeet range on base, the same applies there. You have to fill out the standard wife beater form and fill out quite a bit of info on the gun itself. It's been that that way since I came to the base 6 years ago.

I think you guys are forgetting, military bases are gun free zones.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Weapons registration on a military installation has always been around, at lease since 1979 most likely way before that. Nothing new here.

And the military always say that your name and weapon serial number (s) has been removed from the computer system once you PCS or retired, Yeah right!

Don't ever believe that BS.

Here at (JBLM) Joint Base Lewis & McChord I registered my guns on post so that I could hunt and use the range facilities. At one point the Army said no need to register the weapons anymore due to the new post commander, then three years later gun registration was re implemented. Guess what they still had my name and gun serial numbers under my SSN.

Yes those guns that I all sold.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Fort Hunter Liggett in Kalifornia, The Democratic People's Republic of, requires hunters using their facility to register their firearms with the fort police.

Register Weapons

To hunt anywhere on Fort Hunter Liggett, and to bring weapons through the gate into the cantonment area, all weapons must be registered with the Fort Hunter Liggett Police Department. See links at right for information and registration form.
http://liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/update.asp

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The reason I don't use the range at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma is because you have to register any weapons you bring on post.
Would really like to use their range but am not going to do it.
Greg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ft Carson is build off post but on post land so we don't have to register out weapons. Mine are registered on Carson because I was a Soldier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts