M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
the image has to be linked through a url to be viewed, if you've got it uploaded to a server, just get the link and use the img tags. You were close, but it looks like you took a chunk of HTML code out of an email.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Ranger:

That is an awesome looking rifle... I have never gotten into AK's and its variants but after looking at that pic... hmmm... might have to try and get me some of those... very cool, sir!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tom, I've never had one before either, qualified with them though. Ended up building this one after Hawk and me went to Houston show back in May, I picked up all the parts while he was on the flight home.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very nice there. The wood looks freakin beautiful! The bayonet is a little short for my taste, but it gives it a bad ass look :twisted: My neighbour has an AK that I have held in his basement. It fits so comfortably to me, I was surprised! I have yet to shoot it at the range, but he says it performs well at 100 yds, but then he is known to exaggerate a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Ranger,

Very nice AK! How difficult was it to built your own AK? Wish I can own one of those here....I can only drool. :(

George

·
Registered
846 Posts
what did you do about the trigger? the stock AK triggers are the absolute worst i've ever used. 3 inches of creep and about 15 pounds break 8O

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not difficult at all to build, hardest part is getting barrel set in trunion block. Everyone says to use a hydraulic press to push it in, I managed to do a little pollish work and install it with a vise, some leather wrap and a plastic tipped mallet. Not by the book but worked without leaving a mark. Bolt just closes on a go gage, so I figure leave her alone.

Trigger is pretty smooth, has quite a bit of take up but did some polish and stone work and is not bad at all, haven't check with a pull gage yet. But not much if any more than normal GI M1 or 14. Sort of reminds me of a long 2 stage.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Looks mighty fine there Ranger ...

They are good out to 250 yards easy ... I oughta know ... Been shot at many times with one ...

As for trigger pull ...

I think you did way more than I (or Uncle Mikey from Russia) would ever think about doing ....

These are CQC weapons ..... Not sniper weapons ....

Charlie kicked our asses with these puppies and when you pull the trigger ... They go Bang!

They were meant to be simple, sloppy and lose as Uncle Mikey said in one of his interviews. Best damn CQC weapon I have ever seen used but then that was 30 some years ago ...

I used to own a half a dozen at one time ...

Now I am only down to one .. :( Hangin on to that one tho ...

Nice work sir ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your right Six, real good for CQB, Apprecciate the help ya got me. Guess now I'll have to move on a build something else. Guess I'll finnish up an SKS I have then go back to good ol Uncle Sam toys.

Not quite Hawk, LOL. Told Kris she sounds just like a jumpmaster when I'm driving and a light turns green.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
RANGER11B2P said:
Your right Six, real good for CQB, Apprecciate the help ya got me. Guess now I'll have to move on a build something else. Guess I'll finnish up an SKS I have then go back to good ol Uncle Sam toys.

Not quite Hawk, LOL. Told Kris she sounds just like a jumpmaster when I'm driving and a light turns green.
What???? ya don't have a dummy RPG yet......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife ususally says " the light turned green ya know" this at about 3/4s od a second after the change. :lol:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
That sure looks like laminated furniture to me too ... :wink:

Once again ... Nice Job!

Wheres the RPK? :lol:

Six

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, its Russian laminated, got stock set from a guy in Oregon. Don't know about an RPK or an RPD. Got another parts set in a box, nice M3A1, think I'll work on it next. Only reason I started on an AK and SKS is that Hawk talked me into it, said something about it being more fun to use thier own stuff on them. Usually only mess with WWII Airborne issue stuff.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
yeah.....like I had to twist yer arm :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad ya got it though and so are you :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Nice job Ranger, I did'nt know they had kits or do they. I almost bought a AK from a nieghbor but the guy never came through. I asked what country it came from & he said Russia (doubt it). I got a Ruger 10/22 from the same guy with a few Buttler creek high cap mags + 5 Ruger mags for $100. The guy took the trigger group apart & could'nt get it back together. I never even held a 10/22 before but had it in working order in about 20 minutes. The guy needed money a few days later so now me & the grand kids have a new shooter :D .
I imagine your home was secure before, now it looks like the nieghborhood is secure if the taliban comes your way :lol: . Best looking AK I've seen. To me the M16 & AK were having an ugly race, I don't know who won but I know wich one goes bang everytime!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts