M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a picture of my Finn M39 I just bought. I have fired 60 rounds through her so far, most at 300 yards, and a few at 400 yards. I am well pleased with this rifle, shoots almost 9 inches too high at 300 but almost dead on at 400, and good groups. Ammo is surplus Russian 147 grain.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's another picture. This rifle is a lot more accurate than I thought it would be, or maybe I should say I was pleasantly surprised with the groups I was able to achieve with it...I am used to the aperture sights on the M1 and M14, but I was able to shoot some pretty good groups, she's a keeper for sure.GI6

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It's hard to believe that the cheesy looking Mosin is such a good shooter, but they indeed are. Nice speci-mine Sir.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to believe that the cheesy looking Mosin is such a good shooter, but they indeed are. Nice speci-mine Sir.
I'm no expert on these rifles, but I have handled some Mosin-Nagant 91/30's also, and all I can say is this Finn M39 is head and shoulders above any 91/30.

Another good thing about it, is the fact that these rifles were used against the Red Army to very good affect.GI6

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
These are not your Russian Grandmas' rifle.
Sako, Tikka, Valmet and don't forget Lapua.
To win, you need a Finn.GI2

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I never thought I'd say this, but... nice-looking Mosin. GI5GI5

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never thought I'd say this, but... nice-looking Mosin. GI5GI5
I never thought I would say that either, but this variation of the Mosin-Nagant has grown on me...it's a very rugged rifle with good sights, plus ammo is cheap for it!GI6

Cleaning after firing the corrosive ammo is not that bad either, not like I thought previously anyhow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Finn Mosins are known to have issues with short front sights. The following site has tall sights for them.

http://www.tngunparts.com/TALLSIGHTS.html

I tired to order one for my sons rifle from them, but after 2 months and no part, I contested the charges to my CC and got a refund. I don't know what the problem was because they never responded to my e-mails to their customer service. I finally gave up, Maybe you will have better luck.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Where do I find a good M39 and how much can I expect to pay for one?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid $235.00 for mine, seen a lot for well over $300.00.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Looks like it'd be worth it. That's a nice, balanced looking stick.GI5

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I've got a Russian sniper capture Finnish rebuild that is absolutely sweet and an excellent shooter ...

Mine has the turn down bolt and Russian scope ...

Last time I remember (which was about 7 years back) a fella offered me almost $2K for it ....

Not sure what it's worth but I been told it's not the cheapo version.

Has the original military sling on it too which is installed different then most aftermarket types I have seen ...

Nice Mosin John ...GI2

·
Registered
684 Posts
;)

I've got a Russian sniper capture Finnish rebuild that is absolutely sweet and an excellent shooter ...

Mine has the turn down bolt and Russian scope ...

Last time I remember (which was about 7 years back) a fella offered me almost $2K for it ....

Not sure what it's worth but I been told it's not the cheapo version.

Has the original military sling on it too which is installed different then most aftermarket types I have seen ...

Nice Mosin John ...GI2

I would like to see a picture of the $2K Mosin. Sounds special.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I would like to see a picture of the $2K Mosin. Sounds special.
I do not know if it is 'special' (as you say) or not .....

I don't know jack about Mosins ..... He is a very knowledgeable individual with regards to Mosins ... I do know that ...

I therefore just go by what "HE" said about it and what he offered .... I doubt he would make an offer like that if it was only worth $19.95

I have seen other's similiar to mine posted out there and they were more than that ... depending upon arsenal markings, receiver types, ruskie scopes and all that other mumbo jumbo ...

Like I said .. I don't know jack ... just going by what the "so called more knowledgeables than I" state ...

Maybe it's only worth $29.95 to some ... he said otherwise and he knows much more than I ever will about Mosins.

It's in a friends safe ... when I get time I'll see what I can come up with as far as pics ...

Six

·
Registered
684 Posts
;) Get those pictures up

It just sounded like an interesting rifle but if you don't know jack I'll give you $50 sight unseen, LOL.

I would still like to see it some time.

Pura Vida Amigo

....MJ....

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is my M39 Carbine Scout Rifle

[/url] [/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
The Finn M-39 is one Great rifle. Some people may not like my rifle, but I Love her. I took a 1970 M39 cut 4 " off the barrel (to a 23" barrel)and 4" off the stock. The barrel was milled down to accept the front sight and the front sight blade was replaced with an 8.7 blade. I mounted a Danl Labtec mount that accommodates a weaver mount. As can be seen by the 2 targets accuracy is not a problem. I know there are people that don't believe in changing the rifle, but this is the rifle I wanted. The target with 2 holes is 100 yds and the 3 hole target is at 200 yds.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I remember when they first started coming in to this country and AIM had them for $70.
The M39 is my favorite of the Mosins I have.
All but one have a pre-1899 receiver.

You'll notice when you take the action out of the stock, they put thin metal shims in it to tune the accuracy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts