M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a surplus Sage Mod 0 stock that was pretty well worn having just come back from the sandbox. I have a Springfield Scout in a Navy Seal Grey Mod 0 already, so I vacillated on whether or not to keep the surplus one, even listed it in the PX.

In the meantime, I ended up picking up a Polytech with a USGI bolt and barrel, and decided to spend the money (as I do not have the skills) to have it Cerakoted. I settled on the Titanium baked finish, as this very closely matched my NSG anodized stock. I had Wood Bros. in St. Petersburg, FL do the Cerakoting, and they did a fantastic job. I added some extended side rails from Sage in NSG, and finally got it together today. I will try to get some better pics tomorrow.

Thanks,
jkacg1

·
Registered
520 Posts
Great looking pair you have there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Those are very sharp. I especially like the lower one.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Sweet rifles. Before things started spinning like they have, I thought I'd like to put something like those (18" barrel) together this year. Now at the very least, that's on the back burner.

·
Registered
394 Posts
very nice. didn't know you could order the longer side rails from sage thought they were machined into the chassis. learn something new everyday

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
can u show the rails so we can see how close the cerakote is?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sweet mod 0.5!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looking good!
Mind PMing me their number - I have a Mod O I can't decide on cera-kote or hydro-dip.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I chose the color based on samples I had received from Cerakote. Titanium is almost an exact match. The reason I say this is because of the variations in shading of the clear anodizing which creates the Navy Seal Grey finish. If you notice, the topcover on my original NSG Mod 0 from Clyde's Armory is slightly darker than the main stock chasis. Also, the pistol grip section is slightly lighter in shade than the stock chasis.

Adding the Sage NSG clear anodized extended side rails added a very slight variation in shade of finish, but maybe adds authenticity to the look. I will take some pics later.

Thanks,
jkacg1

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some images of the NSG extended rails attached to the Titanium Cerakoted chasis:

Really indistinguishable between the different finishes. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to mount the 3rd screw for the extended rails as the chasis was not tapped for a screw in that place. If I have any issues with rail movement, I could always tap it later.

Thanks,
jkacg1

·
13,515 Posts
Ya i can't even tell.

what is the point of the extended side rails?

Is it to accommodate the PEQ or something?

now you just need the bipod and then proper sights and you are doneski!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't honestly know why the extended rails on the Mod 1, but I believe that the original Sage EBR's had the same extended rails, which were later replaced in favor of the 1.6" shorter rails for the "Chop Mod/Mod 0" stocks to reduce weight (from http://www.athenswater.com/M1A_Scout_Squad_EBR.htm).

·
13,515 Posts
AHH i see. that makes much more sense.

Did they have the option of getting the numbered rails ? i should call and see if i ever try to do this. (it crossed my mind, but it's pricey considering i already have a setup)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AHH i see. that makes much more sense.

Did they have the option of getting the numbered rails ? i should call and see if i ever try to do this. (it crossed my mind, but it's pricey considering i already have a setup)
The option was available to laser engrave the numbers, though I have heard from a member here that he was told the extended rails are not available. Doesn't hurt to give them a call...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for sharing this.. I'am about to start the same kind of mod to my M1A..
Have just got the EBR stock and need help getting started.. What should I be doing first???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts