M14 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I predict that this rifle will become your FAVORITE rifle... she's a steel and walnut beauty, for sure and a lean hunting machine.

Beautiful work on bringing out the best in that Plain-Jane stick of walnut, Wes.

Thanks!

Good luck!!
BoltTrash,

^^^ - I think your right about this!

M1Army

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Cousin

I think you let the cat out of the BAG.
Some stocks just require a little oil. WHERE OTHERS NEED a little more of that "Good ole Shine" aka alcohol to make them look that pretty. I believe those mason jars we see in The Post is the Secret Stain. Its a combination of "Chew & Southern Sipping Shine".
Pfc out
PS I'm NOT making the NEWS just reporting it

· Super Moderator
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My first outing with the M40 Replica

Hi Everyone,

I drove over to the Georgia Gun Club last Sunday and took three rifles [my M40, my HOWA 1500 .308 and my 6.5 Creedmoor M14 "Black Max"]; but the main reason for the trip was to shoot my Replica M40.

It has been a while since I sent a decent number of rounds down range with a bolt action rifle and the old shoulder felt the heat. It was great to shoot this fine M40 Replica rifle and she performed without flaw. We have so many platforms to choose from today that include tons of new technology, but the simplicity of this rifle was welcoming! Basically you acquire your target, put the cross hairs on it and squeeze the trigger - wham you hit it!

Below was my best group after getting the scope sighted in and I believe this was an 8 shot group. This was shot at the Georgia Gun Club at the 100 yard indoor range [my favorite place to shoot a new build]. I will share my initial load data and if you have a favorite M40 load maybe you can leave your recipe. I was happy considering the rifle was new and still breaking her in - I was a little rusty too!

I also wanted to say I took part in the QuickLoad group buy several months ago and have found the software program to be very useful particularly in when you are trying to work-up a new load for a new rifle.

Here are some specifics:

Powder - 42.1 Grains of H-4895
Primer - Federal Match Large Rifle
Bullet - SMK 168 Grain hpbt
Case - New Winchester Brass
Case Trim Length - 2.005
Ogive Measurement - 2.2238 for this rifle/bullet combination after measuring the OAL with my Hornady Overall Length Gage and backing off the lands .020
Accuracy Node - QuickLoad shows 1.228 MS - which is exactly on Node #5 for a 24" barrel.
I have some H-4064 powder I will try in the future as well

Below find a pic of the QuickLoad data for this load.

M1Army

· Registered
370 Posts
Wes, Your posts always demonstrate that the details matter.

Accurate rifles are infinitely more interesting than those that aren't and I'd say that this rifle (and shooter combo, of course!) definitely shows promise!

Premium parts & first quality gunsmithing make all the difference and they are both in evidence. Thanks for posting more on your project.

BT

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.