M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
LRB M14 SA, Criterion Med Wt CL Barrel, all GI parts with basic upgrades.
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped the 16” top end for a Vltor Polylythic upper and gas block and stabbed a clCokt BCG in it and a Vltor Charging handle. Barrel is Ballistic Advantage Chrome lined “Crane Spec” 10.3. Have never used a barrel this cheap, but we will see. I like the look so far, let’s see how she shoots. Lower was swapped in with LaRue Trigger, geisselle take down pins and bolt catch, and LWRC Ambi Safety and H3 buffer with extra power spring.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Grey Wood Sewing machine Tints and shades Metal

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
249 Posts
Used an MK18 a few times in the sandbox, then started using an MP-5 instead due to SS109 ammo. In the land of the Big PX,
I have a couple of AR Pistols with that barrel length that works Great. I just don't use 5.56 unless I have to for work (only one allowed) I prefer 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Used an MK18 a few times in the sandbox, then started using an MP-5 instead due to SS109 ammo. In the land of the Big PX,
I have a couple of AR Pistols with that barrel length that works Great. I just don't use 5.56 unless I have to for work (only one allowed) I prefer 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel.
When you say "due to ss109" is that because of it being ineffective or unavailable?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m guessing ineffectiveness. After almost 400 combat missions overseas, I can definitely tell you that firing at shorter range targets that lack body armors; stopping power is far more important than penetration. And due to the steel core and nearly 3000 ft./s velocity, the SS109 projectile really shines only after about 150-200m

·
Registered
249 Posts
When you say "due to ss109" is that because of it being ineffective or unavailable?
Phil14 is correct, In Iraq the first time I went I carried an M-14 with a selector and a 16 1/4 inch barrel. VERY EFFECTIVE at the range we needed as the threat was drive buys and city operations at under 300 yards. The ss109 not as much as pain was not felt by many as drug use was common for them. In Afghanistan, we even took a couple of KILOs of heroin from one of the Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Devices (VBIED) drivers who was too stoned to plug in the cigarette lighter plug to set off the bomb.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I did start smacking 75gr gold dots and Swage core fmjs on top of 24.7gr of BLC-2 in 5.56 and at short to intermediate ranges, that load is a banger.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I agree with your choice on 7.62 x 39. My AR-15 is chambered in 7.62 x 39. I hear 6.5 x 39 millimeter Grendel is more common than 6.8 x 43 Special Purpose Cartridge. But 6.5 x 39 is second to .300 AAC Blackout in common AR-15 rounds. In my opinion the secondary rifle rounds are in this order for use after 5.56 x 45 for popularity:

1) 7.62 x 39
2) .300 AAC Blackout
3) 6.5 x 39 Grendel
4) 6.8 x 43

Reactions: Old18C

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it’s great that we can build ARs in all different kinds of calibers, but being the fact that a 75 gr Gold Dot 5.56 only has about 80 less ft lbs of muzzle energy and will maintain substantially more velocity than a 300 blk I think we tried to reinvent the wheel. I just had a bunch of army buddies hit me up for parts to convert their .300blks back to 5.56. Plus I like universal parts. That’s why I even switched back to carbine gas systems. I wanna be able to grab parts from anywhere and get a gun running again.

·
Registered
572 Posts
6.8 x 43 may become more obscure in AR-15 rifles in the next several years but .300 AAC Blackout and 6.5 x 39 Grendel will hang around for many more years.

I am surprised 6.5 x 39 has really been bought up by many people in the AR-15 platform. I think it is because it extends the range and power of the AR-15 platform. With an 18 inch barrel 6.5 x 39 I have heard is effective still to around 475 yards. I read with a 22 to 24 inch barrel 6.5 x 39 it is somewhat effective out to around 600 yards.

I like to stick with very common calibers thus the reason I went with 7.62 x 39 in my AR-15 even though beyond 325 yards is extreme range for this cartridge.

Reactions: Old18C

·
Registered
45 Posts
Please let us know how the barrel shoots when you get the chance. I've been thinking about using one of their mk12 premium barrels for an 18" build but I just quite pull the trigger on it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Pmag, thanks for reminding me! It definitely liked the heavier bullets better, it is well within the realm of acceptable accuracy, however not noticeably more accurate than the 11.5 chrome lined expo I previously had from primary arms. Ended up yanking it out and doing a little barrel swapping, so the Vltor is now fitted with an 11.5 criterion core, and the knights armament now totes and 11.5 Geiselle CHF. I am happy with both. So basically it is a decent mid range barrel but all things being equal, if I wasn’t stepping up I would go with the 10.3 expo when they are on sale (about $100) or the 10.3 stripped colt. The colt goes on sale for about $200

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the chrome lined series is pretty nice. I spec’d the gas port and it’s the official Crane .070 like they said. I’m not mad at it, just felt like I had better options in the shop for my two “go to” guns. If y’all think anyone would be interested in it, let me know and I’ll post it. Literally just has the break in rounds through it.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I'm
Yeah the chrome lined series is pretty nice. I spec’d the gas port and it’s the official Crane .070 like they said. I’m not mad at it, just felt like I had better options in the shop for my two “go to” guns. If y’all think anyone would be interested in it, let me know and I’ll post it. Literally just has the break in rounds through it.
I'm currently in the same boat. I sold my BA barrels awhile back since I wasn't using them when I had the Colt, FN, and Criterion barrels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts