M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After bringing home a brand new Loaded SAI M1A, I was a little disappointed by the quality of the finish on the metal parts. I'm a little OCD with scratches and blemishes on my guns. I found 2 tiny ( and I mean tiny) spots where the parkerized finish was missing, exposing a metalic silver/yellow bronze color. Plus there were slight wear marks on the stainless steel barrel (probably happened in the factory).

Now I'm sure most of you wouldnt even notice these things, but I would like to get your opinions of the finish quality on your M1A's.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the SAI loaded about 2 months ago. I'm like you I looked over every bit of it but was unable to find any marks or scratches. My guess would be that either I got lucky or you were unlucky.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
unfortunately I see them all on any rifle I buy...

usually after I have bought it and got it home

resigned myself to just saying someone else beat me to it

and that it is a damn tool anyway :-/

·
Registered
824 Posts
unfortunately I see them all on any rifle I buy...
I haven't found any on my CZ 22Mag 452 Full Stock and that includes the receiver, barrel and the rest of any metal parts plus the wood. Believe it or not there are companies that have excellent quality control. The last Marlin I bought seven or so years ago in a 1895 45/70 although not as nicely finished as the CZ did not have a flaw on it. Some companies do a better job after assembly, in checking for finish etc than others. I've seen like new Garands from the returns from Greece that were really nice for a military issue battlerifle. And they were made by the real SA.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually I don't have problems with blemishes caused by guns being on the shelf and handled by customers. However, this M1A came fresh from the back meaning the blemishes were from the factory and their lack of QC.

But its ok, I'm like this with new guns and usually get over it after the first hunting trip.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Finish quality is excellent on mine. I think you are being a bit absurd to be honest. The rifle has to be assembled. Have you ever put one together???? Can't exactly do it without a scratch or two. Oiling probably will remove them to the eye. Also they have to ship once produced and be moved around. The handling marks could have come from the store too. They told you it was NIB, but you didn't state that you saw them take it out of one, just bring it out of the back.

Have a good time with her.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This tiny marks sound like brass tracks from spent brass hitting the metal. Where are they located? The only question would be, how did they get there? Because I didn't think SAI test fired their rifles. Also, take a look at the bolt face. It's pretty apparent from there if the rifle has been fired or not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I figured it out. The bronze marking is in the area of the stripper clip guide. Must be from the brass rubbing against it from stripper clips. Anyone here use stripper clips for their M1A and experience the same thing?

And yes, my rifle has been fired at the factory. I think they all get test fired there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got a loaded 4 months ago no scratches perfect.I also bought the rifle the day they got it. So iT wasnt in the racks too long either.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I remember getting a Henry Big Boy in for a customer. When we opened the box to verify the serial number, we noticed that the buttstock and been installed upside down (the comb was on the bottom!).... Must have been a Friday afternoon gun.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My loaded SAI came with no blemishes but after 200 rounds I noticed the following marks on the receiver and operating handle. These little flecks don't rub out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just saw http://m14forum.com/m14/99608-charging-handle.html and I will try a little KG-12 on these spots. I thought they looked kind of brassy but did not think a casing would strike here. I'm a little suspicious of deflection off the Bassett mount but see no marks on the underside of it but maybe a ting on the bottom of the Millett ring outside clamp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Deadfoot,

Those marks are very similar to the ones on mine. Same color and location. And they won't come off.

Maybe someone here can solve this mystery.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Those marks are completely normal and a sign of a rifle that's being used in a joyful manner. :)

A little sweet's 762 will take care of it.

All rifles, scoped or not, will have those marks after a few rounds.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
A little soaking with a good copper solvent and a stiff tooth bush should take off the brass skuff marks.

If the marks bother you...
Then just rub a little BreakFree in that area when cleaning and before you shoot.

It may not eliminate them entirely, but it seems to help.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If the blemishes are on a wear area, I would not worry about it much. If not, well..... These guns CAN be assembled without leaving blemishes.

The little brass marks do rub out. After shooting the gun for a while, you may notice a lot of little tick marks on the stock below the op rod track also. Mine has zillions of them there.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
914 Posts
On zeh uhzer handt...

If the blemishes are on a wear area, I would not worry about it much. If not, well..... These guns CAN be assembled without leaving blemishes.- Ivan.
Agreed. My NIB SAI NM was totally blemish-free. It came directly from a distributor to my shop, and never saw life in a gun store, which can be traumatic for most any consumer items ("Special on slightly handled in-store demos!" etc.).

Having said that, factories can and do make some mistakes, but their assembly QC should be such that there are no glaring assembly marks. They do, after all, (or should?) have all the necessary special tools... you'd think, huh?

Recent sales of some Marlin products has, however, been less-than-satisfactory for several customers of mine: the products are not made properly (mis-machined dovetail slots, for example), and one had epoxy compound oozing out between the butt-stock and receiver. Since when does Marlin apply epoxy there? It was obviously a factory -fix, but Bubba didn't do a very good job of it, frankly. This is also the one that shot, at best, 6" groups @ 100 yds....

I used to see some obsessing owners of new Porsches (when I worked for them as a field engineer) who would get down on their hands and knees beside their car and point out to us the tiny, microscopic dirt inclusion in the paint, down below the door opening, where it's all consistently bumpy because the factory uses a rubberized component to resist rock chipping.

We used to tell them, in our best 'Chermen' ag-zent...

"Zis, Herr owner, is a car, not.... a Ming Vase! Meant to be driven fast, not idolized!!"

I'd say your overall enjoyment and satisfaction of your new rifle will be significantly enhanced if you just get out there undt (ooops, sorry....) "drrrive it fast undt hardt!". [Hopefully it will deliver some spectacular <1" groups, and you'll be so ecstatic you won't care, even if the gun turns pink!]

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Qc

I haven't found any on my CZ 22Mag 452 Full Stock and that includes the receiver, barrel and the rest of any metal parts plus the wood. Believe it or not there are companies that have excellent quality control. SA.
My CZ 452 FS was the same. Pristine. Aslo, the most accurate .22 I've ever owned. Don't get me started on SAI.DISHOUT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts