M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to these rifles....so maybe you guys know this....but all on my own...lol...I found a way to check your rifles ME or MW without taking the flash hide off.....I couldn't get mine off, didn't want to buy the tool to do it, but had to know what the ME was!!! I have a ME gage for the Garand, I'm guessing that its still going to be the right one for the M14/M1A....I found out that from the end of the barrel, to the bottom of one of the long slots is 3 lines on the ME gage, or about 7/16". So sliding the gage in, an then having the rifle muzzle pointing up, allow the gage to slide down the bore. Look at the gage through the slots, take a referance on the gage, you could also mark it with a pen. Then take the gage out, look at that referance point an subtract 3 lines down on the gage...theres your MW. On mine, my reference point at the bottom of the slot was at ME 3.8 - 3 full lines = ME 0.8 Note: I'm guessing some flash hiders will be set higher or lower than others, but probably pretty close, you can always slide your gage in with muzzle level so the gage catches the end of the barrel an stops an take a reference there, which is what I did, an also using a small tape measure to check my findings.....is it perfect, no...but its not a perfect world...so there you go guys....post your findings on your ME, an let me know what you think of my formula an findings...I know its the poor mans way, but it works for me.....lol.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find! Which me gauge are you using?
Thanks!! I bought it off ebay, don't know the brand but it looks just like I've seen guys use over at the CMP N. Store to check Garands, an it checks out with what they told me my Garands were. Also I've seen what looks just like it over at Fulton Armory website, the ebay ones look just like it but a little cheaper...I pretty sure you can use them for Garands, Carbines, an the M14.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,621 Posts
Muzzle errosion

It's been my experience that ME is not much of a factor with M14 type rifles. This is especially true with chrome lined barrels, although I have never found a non-chromed barrel that exhibited any ME at all.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Why no muzzle wear on the M14s Ted??? Cleaning rod issues, harder steel, flash hider protection of the crown???? I find this interesting. Makes such a huge difference in the Garand, 03/03a3, and M1 Carbine platforms.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think on Teds response he's got a smiley face so I din't take it seriously hammonje.
Think someones trying to jerk a chain here. You are right it makes a difference...otherwise barrels would never wear out...they would never "exhibit any ME at all."....lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.