M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been lurking for awhile here. first post. Thank you all for all the information i have received. couple questions for you all. How the heck do a get an m1a in cali? i have been to my local gun stores that i usually buy from, some big some small. When i ask for an m1a all i get is laughs... i dont care what model it is just want to get one. My dad has had his for awhile now, has a jae stock but he lives in utah. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Where in CA are you? Not sure why they would laugh at you.

Buy one online and have it shipped?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: Getting an M1A in CA

Where are you located? Reeds here in the S.F. Bay Area (Santa Clara) has a good selection of them. Not sure what their prices are like, but they have a good selection of them in the rack behind the counter.

Also you can look on the Calguns.net "Marketplace". I see them there frequently in both the "Commercial Sales & Good Deals" forum and the "Private Firearms Sales" forum.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Place a WTB in the PX and see who is local and willing to sell one. I'd let one of mine go, but then I'd be miss it.GI1

You can come to Angeles tomorrow and fire one, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Place a WTB in the PX and see who is local and willing to sell one. I'd let one of mine go, but then I'd be miss it.GI1

You can come to Angeles tomorrow and fire one, though.
Yeah i will do that! thanks for your help. i would love to fire one again. has been awhile. unfortunetly i have to work tomorrow but thank you for the offer.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Your just a short drive from Cerritos where you will find Ammo Bros. 605 fwy and Alondra. If you would rather go to to Westminster theres the Stockade on Westminster blvd and Beach, just south of the 405 fwy. Both will have what you are looking for, don't know about prices. The Stockade will have more m1a's to choose from. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Your just a short drive from Cerritos where you will find Ammo Bros. 605 fwy and Alondra. If you would rather go to to Westminster theres the Stockade on Westminster blvd and Beach, just south of the 405 fwy. Both will have what you are looking for, don't know about prices. The Stockade will have more m1a's to choose from. Have fun.
And last time I was at Martin B. Retting in Culver City they had a healthy supply, too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, but MBR's reputation leaves much to be desired.

I wouldn't drive to Culver City on MBR's account.

I would drive to Cerritos for Ammo Brothers, however. Those guys are super cool. I'd give them a call first to see if they have any M1As in stock. If not, I'm sure they wouldn't mind ordering you one.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Decide what model M14/M1A you want (that's the hard part).
Locate a good FFL near you, discuss what you're planning to buy as well as the paperwork involved.
Shop until you find the right model at a price you're willing to pay that either has a CA approved muzzle brake or a seller who is willing to take the flash hider off (have them pack it in the box so you can sell it or save it for future use). If either of these are true the rifle does not have to be in California which opens up the possibilities.
Make sure the rifle doesn't come with a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds.
Pay the seller and have the rifle shipped to your FFL.
Complete the paperwork and after a week and a half pick up your new rifle.
Buy lots of ammo.
Shoot.
Smile a lot.

If the rifle you buy has a flash hider I suggest replacing it with a SEI USCG brake. SAI's brake isn't bad either.
Excellent 10 round Magazines are available from CMI through this Website.

The M14TFL's PX is a good place to shop, particularly if the seller has been around for awhile. Good deals roll through pretty regularly if you can be patient enough to wait for them.

Hope all that helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
If you would rather go to to Westminster theres the Stockade on Westminster blvd and Beach, just south of the 405 fwy. The Stockade will have more m1a's to choose from.
Nice, I'll have to go check out The Stockade. I visit the O.C. at least once a month. Beach Boulevard and Westiminster Avenue is about a mile west of Little Saigon. I love that area. If I was going to live in California, it would be in Little Saigon. GITEN

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice, I'll have to go check out The Stockade. I visit the O.C. at least once a month. Beach Boulevard and Westiminster Avenue is about a mile west of Little Saigon. I love that area. If I was going to live in California, it would be in Little Saigon. GITEN
I was at the Stockade a few weeks ago and they did have more than 5 M1As there. They are a little high with their prices, but what gun store isn't in California; I understand there is overhead and costs that have to be covered. I've had a few mixed feelings about The Stockade and their parent store Fowlers, but luckily when I go there, I just go for reloading equipment. Go in and get out quick Since I actually have a free Saturday, I just might check them out today and will report back.

Lee, let us know when you're going to be in the OC next, that area is about 10 minutes away from me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Things to buy:

Lots o ammo. Otis cleaning system. Larger gun safe..you'll want more than one M1A. Happy Shooting!GI6

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
Yeah, but MBR's reputation leaves much to be desired.

I wouldn't drive to Culver City on MBR's account.

I would drive to Cerritos for Ammo Brothers, however. Those guys are super cool. I'd give them a call first to see if they have any M1As in stock. If not, I'm sure they wouldn't mind ordering you one.
I'm curious, since I've bought guns there since 1988 and never had a problem, what is the bad rep that Rettings has? Their prices are high? Not as high as gunworld used to have. They always stock a healthy contingent of M1As, and I've seen a couple in Turners recently. M1As aren't cheap. Check the calguns want to sell board for a bargain.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you get up to Sacramento, Wild Sports on Greenback and Main have 5 to 6 of various configurations right now. They usually sell fast and at times they will be out but ususally are restocked within 10 days or so.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Retting has a horrible rep because of their customer service.

The prices are okay, but some of the people who run the place are complete a-holes.

That said....there are some guys in there who are awesome. There was an older gentleman who handled a PPT for me some time ago who was very, very cool.

In all fairness, I haven't been there in over a year...but that's because there are several gun shops in the area who have amazing service, and it's difficult to patronize MBR when you've got Ammo Brothers in Cerritos and Fort Courage in Simi Valley.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Retting has a horrible rep because of their customer service.

The prices are okay, but some of the people who run the place are complete a-holes.

That said....there are some guys in there who are awesome. There was an older gentleman who handled a PPT for me some time ago who was very, very cool.

In all fairness, I haven't been there in over a year...but that's because there are several gun shops in the area who have amazing service, and it's difficult to patronize MBR when you've got Ammo Brothers in Cerritos and Fort Courage in Simi Valley.
I think the bad attitude perception comes from how busy they are. I try to go midweek, midday. Usually great.

Bad attitude? Try Greta's in Simi Valley.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts