M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
this is more just a pivot to the old mission of the nra and the old ideal of gun rights, right? back to a more egalitarian focus on gun ownership. all the anti-gun people on both sides are just perhaps beginning to have the realization that it has always been a major, necessary part of our culture and that the goal of civilian disarmament is both ultra-modern and as old as tyranny. the nra is as much to blame as any anti with their focus on marketing and sensationalism rather that marksmanship and education. thats more how it was at the turn of the century, right? gun culture has fallen into the same hype trap as everyone else. also, just as much as i believe self defense is a natural right as important as food and water(in fact it may fall under shelter, imo) i also know that america is an experiment meant to prove to the world that citizens can be self governing and self organizing along the highest possible principles. which can be a tightrope, i dont think we are in the "resting on laurels" decade yet. that means we still have to prove that we can be both cooperative/peaceable and dangerous/reactive. and at the proper times, or history will take us out. we will be a footnote if we continue to take natural law for granted. we are literally the only country trying to take this tack so i'd say we are up against it. which, to bring it back around; proves the necessity for a pivot back to fundamentals, education, egalitarianism in ownership, cooperation in training, and love for your neighbor. otherwise you can allow our society to fall into the prepper's fever dream of apocalypse and survival. i for one will never forgive those, of any stripe, who drag our country into another civil war. gun rights are not a 'sided' issue. ill never tow a party line, the closest i can see myself aligning with is some very stripped down libertarianism but i did grow up in new england so most of the gun owners in my early life were most certainly democrats. its nothing new.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
The NRA with all of their faults, has a long history of representing gun owners in the defense of the Second Amendment via legislative representation.
America isn’t some transient social experiment.
Our fight to maintain our Freedom in this country will always be a “sided issue”.
The Left will never accept the priority of an armed citizenry over an armed police state.
The Left is actively and extensively engaged in an all out legal and propaganda campaign to wipe the NRA off of the face of the earth.
There is nothing “egalitarian” about an elitist view of who the Second Amendment protects. It ain’t limited to Trap Shooters, Genteel Southern Aristocracy, or Ducks Unlimited Corporate types.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The NRA with all of their faults, has a long history of representing gun owners in the defense of the Second Amendment via legislative representation.
America isn’t some transient social experiment.
Our fight to maintain our Freedom in this country will always be a “sided issue”.
The Left will never accept the priority of an armed citizenry over an armed police state.
The Left is actively and extensively engaged in an all out legal and propaganda campaign to wipe the NRA off of the face of the earth.
#1: yeah thats what i was saying. basically. the nra was, and is a gun rights advocacy group. however their mission was far more about education, marksmanship and training up until around the 80's where they shifted focus to being a marketing machine for gun companies and the republican party. which is strange because of the 1968 gun control act was signed into law by a republican right? not really the point of this discussion but it does bear mentioning. anyway, all im saying is that the 2nd is inherently a non-sided issue and just as much as if find it annoying that democrats want to limit it, i find the right's attempt to align it with the rest of their politics equally shameful. theyre using it as a weapon and cash cow just as much as anyone else. my father is a democrat and he wants to see the nra be what it was in 1930, not "wipe it from the face of the earth" i just feel like this apocalyptic rhetoric is possibly super harmful to the discourse. makes us all seem histrionic. no disrespect intended, i understand people's trepidation. from some of your other points, it kind of sounds like you dont want people on the left to own guns.

Reactions: 3RDI

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
#1: yeah thats what i was saying. basically. the nra was, and is a gun rights advocacy group. however their mission was far more about education, marksmanship and training up until around the 80's where they shifted focus to being a marketing machine for gun companies and the republican party. which is strange because of the 1968 gun control act was signed into law by a republican right? not really the point of this discussion but it does bear mentioning. anyway, all im saying is that the 2nd is inherently a non-sided issue and just as much as if find it annoying that democrats want to limit it, i find the right's attempt to align it with the rest of their politics equally shameful. theyre using it as a weapon and cash cow just as much as anyone else. my father is a democrat and he wants to see the nra be what it was in 1930, not "wipe it from the face of the earth" i just feel like this apocalyptic rhetoric is possibly super harmful to the discourse. makes us all seem histrionic. no disrespect intended, i understand people's trepidation.
Sounds like you are attempting to reconcile your own personal political tradition with cold hard reality of the hard left shift.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
up until around the 80's where they shifted focus to being a marketing machine for gun companies and the republican party.
Witness the relocation of Smith & Wesson and others.

The OP in this thread is simply a commentary on the latest smoke generated by fear of a rising tide in the electorate.
The left isn’t about to allocate infrastructure money to build, repair, or expand firearms facilities.
Nor will they launch a Hunter safety program or open more public land to hunting.

·
Registered
341 Posts
well, anyway, feel like we thoroughly hijacked this thread, so im going to say happy thanksgiving for now and i would like to expand upon these ideas in general in another thread some time. i think we are touching on a theme that is pervasive in our community right now and it needs working out.

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Then there is this...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Unless and until there's actual action by the left in factual support of the 2A, what we saw in the Politico opinion piece is just so much leftist propaganda. Note there is a subtle, yet clear, emphasis on campaign messaging to sooth and lull gun owners into thinking that the left has changed its position rather than a clear call for actual, active support of the 2A.

The Politico writer was talking about changing rhetoric in order to sway voter opinions about the progressive left. Talk. Messaging. Propaganda...

If the left wanted to promote responsible and safe gun ownership, why all they need to do is make common cause with the NRA rather than excoriate the NRA with their every breath and word. The left could also take a hard stand on the issue of gun crime. Rather than criminalizing gun ownership, the left should criminalize crime committed with guns, especially the epidemic of gun crime committed by criminals in the major cities that the left controls.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts