M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting one of these for years. Finally ordered a Vepr 7.62 x 39. They're not lying when they say this is the finest AK in production. Fit and finish is impeccable and the action cycles smoother than a dancer's privates. And that's without being cleaned and greased properly yet. The owner's manual tells you not to store food in the oiled paper after unwrapping the rifle, which I think is a thoughtful touch. I included a picture of the bolt and the forearm stippling to show the attention to detail and quality of workmanship. Now if I can ever get out to the range, I've got a couple of reports to file. Sorry for multiple pic posts, iPad limitations...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forearm stippling. The wood is done beautifully but it has to go because the thumb hole stock feels like holding an oar. Need to do some 922r houskeeping (bullet guide, Dinzag fcg, new furniture) and she'll be gtg. Overall I'm very pleased so far. Oh, and the Spurs closed out the Thunder tonite so I'm doubly pleased!

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Forearm stippling.
The wood is done beautifully but it has to go because the thumb hole stock feels like holding an oar.
Need to do some 922r houskeeping (bullet guide, Dinzag fcg, new furniture) and she'll be gtg. Overall I'm very pleased so far. Oh, and the Spurs closed out the Thunder tonite so I'm doubly pleased!
I wanted to say that but didn't want to pop your balloon...

But YEAH!

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with a well made akm.tack drivers they are not, but they deliver the goods without question. It is a rifle designed to rifle work. The weight is not obnoxious

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
After my M1A and M1 Garand, the AKM is my favorite rifle. The AK's gas system, bolt and trigger group are modified copies of the M1 Garand. Information about AK47:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/ak-akm-e.html
I was under the impression that the AK took design elements from several rifles, especially the 42/43/44 series of German guns.

Was I wrong or is my info just incomplete?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I was under the impression that the AK took design elements from several rifles, especially the 42/43/44 series of German guns.

Some things, like the underfolder stock design, and the idea of an intermediate rifle cartridge, I suspect were German.

After examining both rifles, it becomes clear that the guts of the AK are most definitely influenced by the Garand.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've been wanting one of these for years. Finally ordered a Vepr 7.62 x 39. They're not lying when they say this is the finest AK in production. Fit and finish is impeccable and the action cycles smoother than a dancer's privates. And that's without being cleaned and greased properly yet. The owner's manual tells you not to store food in the oiled paper after unwrapping the rifle, which I think is a thoughtful touch. I included a picture of the bolt and the forearm stippling to show the attention to detail and quality of workmanship. Now if I can ever get out to the range, I've got a couple of reports to file. Sorry for multiple pic posts, iPad limitations...
VEPR is a massively overbuilt AKM (i.e. RPK). You are correct, the people working at Molot take great pride in their rifle, and it shows. As for the toxic Russian preservative paper, just get rid of it and wash your hands really well. Maybe someone here knows what it is.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts

The Stg 44 design elements copied were the gas tube above the barrel, heavy bolt carrier, sights, stock and pistol grip from what I have read.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
the warning is there for third world buyers that are gonna put it all to use.

the governments didnt get after pcb contaminated oil untill a bunch of islanders used transformer oil for a fish fry that contained pcb...

·
Registered
197 Posts
That butt stock was only intended to get the rifle out the door and in your hands.
importer makes it clear stocks are ruff and may be cracked.
98% buy with intent to change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts