M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In January I stopped at a small gun shop and found a standard M1A that was made in May of 93. It had a couple magazines, a Redfield 3x9 scope mounted in a Basset mount, all for a lot less than $1,000!GI6 I have had some health problems and haven't had a chance to shoot it.

Well yesterday being the 235th birthday of the Marine Corps I thought it would be a good time to shoot it. When I got to the range only the pistol range was open so the most I could get was 35 yards. Well I thought at least I could function fire it. Well the first shot was a pin wheel 10X and the next shots were touching the first. I have had the scope on and off several times but the Basset apparently holds the zero that the last owner had.GI6

I have no idea how this translates at longer ranges of 100 and 200 yards but I was pleased as a peach!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Congrats on finally getting back to the range. I know how you feel when a plan comes together. Thirty five yards or 300 it's always nice to see a tight group, kind of gives you that 'warm and fuzzy'.

·
Retired
4,768 Posts
Hey good buddy, I'm glad you're feeling good enough to get out to the range and finally fire your M1A. I'll try to give you a call this weekend.GI1

·
Registered
690 Posts
Oorah, Marine! Can't wait to hear what you and this rifle can do when you open it up to longer ranges.
MC1EXPRT1

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
range

Hey Bud, I been waiting on this since you first came on the scene, so glad you got a chance to send some, it sounds like you are pleased, and thats all that matters, Outstanding !!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome to the forum... it sounds like you got a deal on that rifle. It is possible that you might have some GI parts in a Springfield that old, instead of all commercial parts made by springfield. Even if not, you still got a screamin deal with a scope and mount included for less than a grand. Plus Springfields have a lifetime warranty, so you can send it back any time it has a problem.

No idea how that group translates to 100 or 200 yards? You just have to convert the group size from inches to minutes of angle (a minute of angle is 1/60 of a degree).

An MOA is 1 inch per 100 yards. If you want an easy way to convert inches to MOA, Just take the distance in yards and move the decimal 2 places to the left. This tells you how many inches 1 MOA is at that distance.

So you were shooting at 35 yards... that means 1 MOA is .35 inches at that distance, so call it 1/3 inch. So just measure your group in inches and multiply by 3. That is how many MOA your group is. A 2 MOA group would be 0.7" at 35 yards, 2" at 100 yards, 4" at 200 yards, and so forth.

Bring that rifle to an Appleseed and we will teach you all about this (and a lot more)!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
henschman, thank you for your reply. I have been a member of this forum since I bought the rifle. Old Sarge looked at it and told me it had nearly all GI parts except, if I remember right, the trigger group.

I was well trained in the M-14 by the Marine Corps but because of health problems haven't had a chance to shoot it. I have shot a lot in my 66 years and have been fairly active in 22 Silhouette out to 200 yards. I also have helped run deer hunting sight in clinics in the past so I know about minute of angle. I just wanted to share my excitement over finally shooting the M-1A.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh yeah, I see you've been on the forum a while, so no welcome needed. I don't know why I thought I was in the new members section.

Nearly all GI parts... you lucky dog! You could turn that thing around and nearly double your money I bet.

Yeah, as a marksmanship instructor, I notice that most guys who come to our shoots who were in the Corps do pretty good... they pretty much all end up shooting Expert on our course of fire. Sometimes they are a little rusty if they haven't done it in a while, but apparently they teach you guys right because it is all down there somewhere, even if it has to be dusted off a little!

But hey, you should still come out to an Appleseed. It is a great time. We'll give you a fancy patch if you shoot expert on our AQT target. And you will hear some Revolutionary War history that you've probably never heard before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts